Stepped Pulley: Angular and Linear Acceleration

In summary, the pulley has an angular acceleration of (2.0 kg*m^2)*(1.0 kg*m^2)/(0.5 kg*m) = 6.25 rad/s. The masses have a linear acceleration of (0.5 kg*m)/(2.0 kg*m*w1) and (0.5 kg*m)/(1.0 kg*m*w2), respectively.
robert6774
A stepped pulley is essentially a system of connected cocentric disks that have different radii. A stepped pulley (I= 2.0 kg*m^2) is placed on a frictionless axle and then strings are attached to two radii of 20 and 50 cm. The other ends of the strings are attached to a 2.0 and 1.0 kg mass respectively. Determine the angular acceleration of the pulley and the linear accelerations of the two masses.

I= 2.0 kg*m^2
r1= 50 cm
r2= 20 cm
m1= 1.0 kg
m2= 2.0 kg
w1= 0
w2= ?

I think I'm confusing the concept of the pulley starting at rest (so w1= 0) and the final angular speed (w2) of the rotating pulley with the fact that there are two different radii to be used in the same equation for the same pulley.

I'm pretty sure v= rw will come into play at some point but I need to find the angular speed in order to find the angular acceleration. And where the heck does time fit into all this?

I've also considered finding the linear accelerations and working the other way around but again I'm not sure how to look at this.

I've winged a couple ideas using the conservation of angular momentum and the conservation of angular kinetic energy but it doesn't make sense. Where do I start and how do look at/approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you tiny-tim for your help. I've just figured out how to use the Latex symbols, that should make my equations easier to read. The other Latex stuff is a bit more complicated, don't know if I'll need it.

Related to Stepped Pulley: Angular and Linear Acceleration

What is a stepped pulley?

A stepped pulley is a type of pulley system that consists of a series of pulleys with different diameters, connected by a belt. It is used to transmit motion and change the direction of force.

How does a stepped pulley work?

A stepped pulley works by using the principle of mechanical advantage, where the force applied to a larger pulley is spread out over a larger surface area, resulting in a smaller amount of force needed to lift a load. As the belt is wrapped around the different pulleys, the speed and direction of the motion can be changed.

What is angular acceleration in a stepped pulley system?

Angular acceleration in a stepped pulley system refers to the rate of change of angular velocity of the pulley. It is a measure of how quickly the pulley is rotating and is affected by the size and speed of the pulley as well as the tension in the belt.

How does a stepped pulley affect linear acceleration?

A stepped pulley affects linear acceleration by changing the speed and direction of the motion. As the pulleys increase in size, the linear speed of the belt and the load attached to it decreases, resulting in a slower linear acceleration. However, the direction of the motion can also be changed, allowing for more control over the linear acceleration.

What are the practical applications of a stepped pulley?

Stepped pulleys have a wide range of practical applications, including in elevators, exercise equipment, and machinery used in industrial processes. They are also commonly used in vehicles, specifically in the transmission system, to change the speed and torque of the engine to the wheels. Additionally, they are used in simple machines such as cranes and hoists to lift heavy loads with less force.