Stephen's question at Yahoo Answers regarding an inhomogeneous linear recurrence

In summary, the given recurrence is A_n = A_(n-1) + 2n + 1, with initial value A_1 = 1. By using symbolic differencing and solving for the parameters, we find that the closed form for the recurrence is n^2 + 2n - 2.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Find The Closed Form?

A1 = 1
an-1 + 2n+1
I know how to get the sequence but I don't know how to write the closed form.

Here is a link to the question:

Find The Closed Form? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Stephen,

We are given the recurrence:

\(\displaystyle A_{n}=A_{n-1}+2n+1\) where \(\displaystyle A_1=1\)

Now, if we write the recurrence as:

\(\displaystyle A_{n}-A_{n-1}=2n+1\)

we can see that the difference between two successive terms is a linear function in $n$ and so we know the closed form will be quadratic. Let's take the time to look at a method called symbolic differencing to show that this must be true. Let's begin with the given recurrence:

\(\displaystyle A_{n}=A_{n-1}+2n+1\)

We may now increase $n$ by one to write the recurrence equivalently as:

\(\displaystyle A_{n+1}=A_{n}+2(n+1)+1\)

Subtracting the former from the latter, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle A_{n+1}=2A_{n}-A_{n-1}+2\)

\(\displaystyle A_{n+2}=2A_{n+1}-A_{n}+2\)

Subtracting the former from the latter, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle A_{n+2}=3A_{n+1}-3A_{n}+A_{n-1}\)

We now have a homogeneous recurrence, whose associated characteristic equation is:

\(\displaystyle r^3-3r^2+3r-1=(r-1)^3=0\)

Because the characteristic roots are $r=1$ of multiplicity 3, we know the closed form is:

\(\displaystyle A_n=k_1+k_2n+k_3n^2\)

where the parameters $k_i$ may be determined by initial values.

We are given:

\(\displaystyle A_1=1\)

and so using the original inhomogeneous recurrence, we may compute the next two terms:

\(\displaystyle A_2=1+2(2)+1=6\)

\(\displaystyle A_3=6+2(3)+1=13\)

Now we have enough values to determine the parameters. We obtain the following 3X3 system:

\(\displaystyle A_1=k_1+k_2\cdot1+k_3\cdot1^2=k_1+k_2+k_3=1\)

\(\displaystyle A_2=k_1+k_2\cdot2+k_3\cdot2^2=k_1+2k_2+4k_3=6\)

\(\displaystyle A_3=k_1+k_2\cdot3+k_3\cdot3^2=k_1+3k_2+9k_3=13\)

Solving this system, we find:

\(\displaystyle k_1=-2,\,k_2=2,\,k_3=1\)

and so the closed form for the recurrence is:

\(\displaystyle A_n=-2+2n+n^2=n^2+2n-2\)

To Stephen and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post other recurrence or difference equation questions in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f15/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Related to Stephen's question at Yahoo Answers regarding an inhomogeneous linear recurrence

1. What is an inhomogeneous linear recurrence?

An inhomogeneous linear recurrence is a mathematical concept that involves a sequence of numbers where each term is a linear combination of the previous terms, with the addition of a non-zero constant term. This means that the recurrence equation has a non-zero constant on the right-hand side, making it different from a homogeneous linear recurrence.

2. Why is Stephen asking about this topic?

It is not specified why Stephen is asking about this topic, but it is possible that he is studying mathematics or conducting research in a related field. Alternatively, he may have come across this concept in a problem or exercise and is seeking clarification.

3. Can you provide an example of an inhomogeneous linear recurrence?

Sure, an example of an inhomogeneous linear recurrence is the Fibonacci sequence, where each term is the sum of the two previous terms plus a non-zero constant (in this case, the first two terms are 0 and 1).

4. What is the significance of inhomogeneous linear recurrences?

Inhomogeneous linear recurrences have many applications in mathematics and other fields. They can be used to model real-world situations, such as population growth or financial investments. They also have connections to other mathematical concepts, such as generating functions and differential equations.

5. Are there any techniques for solving inhomogeneous linear recurrences?

Yes, there are various techniques for solving inhomogeneous linear recurrences, such as the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of generating functions. These techniques involve finding a particular solution to the recurrence and then using it to find the general solution.