Stephen Hawking to Retire as Cambridge Maths Professor

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hawking
In summary: Applicants are being invited for the illustrious position, once held by Sir Isaac Newton, which will be vacated on October 1, 2009.The applied mathematician and theoretical physicist also hit the headlines earlier this year when it was rumoured he could be set to leave Cambridge to join his colleague Prof Neil Turok at the Perimeter Institute in Ontario, Canada.Professor Hawking is set to retire from his position as Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University at the age of 67 on October 1, 2009. Although he will still hold the position of Emeritus Lucasian Professor, he has said that he does not plan on doing any further work at the university.
fourier jr
they I've never heard of Sir Joseph Larmor or Sir James Lighthill. I've heard of Airy, Stokes & Dirac though:

Applicants are being invited for the illustrious position, once held by Sir Isaac Newton, which will be vacated on October 1, 2009.

But Prof Hawking will continue his work as usual at Cambridge University as Emeritus Lucasian Professor at the university, an honorary title.

A spokeswoman explained it was University policy for professors to "pass the baton" in the year they reach the age of 67.

She said Prof Hawking's diary is already booked up to 2012.

"The post is retiring but Hawking isn't," the spokeswoman said. "Nothing will change. It is merely a formality."

Prof Hawking, 66, will have held the position of Lucasian Professor of Mathematics for 30 years at the time of his retirement.

Isaac Barrow became the first holder of the post in 1664, and notable successors have included Charles Babbage, Sir Joseph Larmor and Sir James Lighthill.

Despite being almost completely paralysed by motor neurone disease, Prof Hawking became one of the world's leading experts on gravity, black holes, and the origins of the universe.

The applied mathematician and theoretical physicist also hit the headlines earlier this year when it was rumoured he could be set to leave Cambridge to join his colleague Prof Neil Turok at the Perimeter Institute in Ontario, Canada.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...e-as-Cambridges-Professor-of-Mathematics.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Come to CANADA!

What exactly is significant about the age of 67? Does someone want to enlighten me?

The normal UK retirement age is 65 but there was an age discrimination case brought against universities. The 67 is a compromise.

Come to CANADA!
You can't get snow tires for the wheelchair

mgb_phys said:
You can't get snow tires for the wheelchair

wow, and they say I'm callous.

Well good on him...i suppose at his age he probably felt it was time to move on...i can't imagine anyone trying to push him out of the job...

majesticman said:
Well good on him...i suppose at his age he probably felt it was time to move on...i can't imagine anyone trying to push him out of the job...

Define "push". Legally, he has to retire but, if you read the article, he is remaining as Lucasian chair Emeritus.

Of course he's remaining in the chair.

tribdog said:
Of course he's remaining in the chair.

Heh, good one.

Where can I send in my Application? It didn't leave any details.

cristo said:

A job listing appeared on the PhysicsToday site last week
http://careers.physicstoday.org/jobdetail.cfm?job=3015627&job_events=1480

FYI: Here are the past Lucasian Professors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucasian_Professor_of_Mathematics
http://www.lucasianchair.org/papers/brief.html

JasonRox said:
Come to CANADA!
From July... http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=714
EDIT: (I see that this issue was already referenced in the quoted passage in the first post.)

Last edited:

1. What is the reason for Stephen Hawking's retirement as a Cambridge Maths Professor?

Stephen Hawking announced his retirement in 2009 due to his deteriorating health caused by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a motor neuron disease he was diagnosed with at the age of 21.

2. How long has Stephen Hawking been a professor at Cambridge University?

Stephen Hawking has been a professor of mathematics at the University of Cambridge for over 30 years, starting in 1979.

3. Will Stephen Hawking continue to do research after his retirement?

Yes, Stephen Hawking has stated that he will continue to do research in theoretical physics and cosmology, despite his retirement from his position as a professor at Cambridge University.

4. What are some of Stephen Hawking's major contributions to the field of mathematics?

Stephen Hawking's contributions to mathematics include his work on black holes, the theory of cosmology, and the concept of the Hawking radiation. He also made significant contributions to the understanding of the Big Bang theory and the origin of the universe.

5. How has Stephen Hawking's work influenced the field of mathematics?

Stephen Hawking's work has had a profound impact on the field of mathematics, particularly in the study of black holes, cosmology, and the origins of the universe. His groundbreaking research has inspired many scientists and has helped advance our understanding of the universe and its origins.