Stephen Hawking Books: Use for Engineering Benefits

In summary, the conversation discusses two books given by an engineer uncle to a high school graduate and how they can be helpful in engineering. The books, "God Created the Integers" and "On the Shoulders of Giants," are anthologies of famous papers in mathematics and physics respectively. While they may not directly contribute to engineering, they can provide a deeper understanding of basic concepts and serve as a resource for further learning.
schumi1991`
Recently on my high school graduation an engineer uncle of mine gave me two books by hawking
1)God created the integers
2)On the shoulders of giants
I have gone through the books but could not understand how will they be helpful in engineering please guide me how to use them to my benefit

Physics news on Phys.org
Both books are anthologies of famous papers published in their respective fields. I haven't looked at On the Shoulders of Giants, but I believe it has several famous papers from famous physicists on the development of physics.

As for God Created the Integers, it is a book full of many of the proofs and great works done by mathematicians over the centuries. It covers many, many famous theorems.

I wouldn't say that they directly would help engineering, and both are tough to read through cover-to-cover. The best way that I could see them in being useful is giving you a very deep understanding in many of the basics you learn your undergraduate classes. Don't read them sequentially, but if you find a topic which you'd like to learn more about, going through the proof as well as Hawking's insightful commentary is definitely a must.

Related to Stephen Hawking Books: Use for Engineering Benefits

1. What are the benefits of using Stephen Hawking's books for engineering?

Stephen Hawking's books offer insights into the field of physics and cosmology, which are essential for understanding the fundamentals of engineering. His works also emphasize critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are crucial for success in any engineering field.

2. Are Stephen Hawking's books suitable for all types of engineering?

Yes, Stephen Hawking's books can be beneficial for engineers in various fields. Although his work primarily focuses on theoretical physics, the concepts and principles discussed can be applied to different branches of engineering, such as mechanical, electrical, and aerospace.

3. Can Stephen Hawking's books help with practical engineering applications?

While Stephen Hawking's books may not directly provide practical engineering solutions, they offer a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles that govern the universe. This understanding can be applied to practical engineering problems and aid in finding innovative solutions.

4. How can Stephen Hawking's books benefit aspiring engineers?

Stephen Hawking's books can benefit aspiring engineers in many ways. They can inspire critical thinking and encourage curiosity, essential qualities for success in the engineering field. Additionally, his works offer a unique perspective and insights into the universe, which can broaden one's understanding and creativity.

5. Are Stephen Hawking's books suitable for non-scientists or those new to engineering?

While some of Stephen Hawking's books may contain complex scientific concepts, he was known for his ability to explain them in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. Therefore, his books can be beneficial for those new to engineering as they provide a foundation for understanding scientific principles and critical thinking skills necessary for engineering.