Step Potential: Real Physical Situation

In summary, a step potential is a type of potential energy that has a sudden change in value at a specific point, in this case at the origin. This can correspond to a marble being thrown at a wall, where the marble does not interact with the wall and continues moving in the same direction. In a quantum mechanical example, this can also correspond to an electron encountering a step potential barrier with an energy less than the potential, resulting in a reflection and transmission coefficient. Other examples could include the junction between two dissimilar metals with different work functions.
captain.joco

Homework Statement

A step potential is defined by: V(x) = 0 ( for for x <0 ) and V(x) = V0 ( for x >0 ). Hence the step occurs at the origin.
Suggest a real physical situation, that might correspond to this idealized problem

Homework Equations

None needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Looks simple, but I can't think of anything that this might correspond to. I was thinking about an electron being bound to an atom, and the step potential is like the ionizing potential, but since V0 goes from x = 0 to x = infinity, there can't be such potential...

Or maybe a highly negative charged plate, so an electron moving at the positive direction would not pass through, but it is free to move in a negative direction ( 1D situation ).

Does anybody have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might imagine a marble being thrown at a concrete wall. Classically, they don't interact. When was the last time you saw the marble get inside the wall? I don't yet have a QM example for you.

Thanks, that indeed makes sense.

Since I tried solving one of these step potential questions the other day, I've been wondering what physical situation it corresponds to. The marble against the wall is not the case in question because for the cases I was given, the energy of the electron is greater than the step voltage. So you get a reflection coefficient and a transmission coefficient, both real. I have the idea of the junction between two dissimilar metals with different work functions. But I haven't been able to give physical meaning to the reflection coefficient.

In my case, the energy of the electron is less then the step potential, so the marble example would apply. I could think of more examples if the potential was not infinite, but this complicate things.

Related to Step Potential: Real Physical Situation

1. What is a step potential?

A step potential is a sudden change in potential energy that occurs when an object moves from one region to another with a different electric potential. This can be caused by a change in electric field or a change in the distance between the object and a source of electric potential.

2. What is the real physical situation of a step potential?

The real physical situation of a step potential is when an object with a charge moves from one region with a different electric potential to another region with a different electric potential. This can happen in various scenarios, such as when a charged particle moves from one conductor to another, or when a charged object moves from air to a different medium.

3. How does a step potential affect the motion of a charged particle?

A step potential can either speed up or slow down the motion of a charged particle, depending on the direction of the potential difference. If the particle moves from a region of lower potential to a region of higher potential, it will slow down. On the other hand, if it moves from a region of higher potential to a region of lower potential, it will speed up.

4. Can a step potential cause a charged particle to change direction?

Yes, a step potential can cause a charged particle to change direction if it enters a region with a different electric potential at an angle. This is because the electric field in the two regions will exert a force on the particle in different directions, causing it to change its trajectory.

5. What are some real-world applications of step potentials?

Step potentials can be found in various real-world situations, such as in electronic circuits, where a sudden change in potential can affect the flow of current. They are also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in different materials, and in the design of devices such as particle accelerators and cathode ray tubes.