Step potential - question about reflection coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of step potential where the energy of a particle is higher than the potential V. The reflection coefficient in this case is given by (E-V)/E and it represents the probability of the particle being reflected at the boundary. The reasoning behind this coefficient is explained using the Schrödinger equation and classical thinking is compared to quantum mechanical thinking.
trelek2
Hi. I've been trying to understand the phenomenon of step potential, when energy of particle E is higher than the potential V.
Then we have solution on both sides of boundary in the form of wave functions...
Is the reflection coefficient in this case simply (E-V)/E ??
Can anyone show me a more formal explanation, however not as formal as in books (so that i understand :)
What does the quantum mechanical coefficient really tell us (in comparison with classical thinking)?
If we think about it classically I think we can be sure that particle gets transmitted at boundary, but loses some energy.
From the QM point of view, on the other hand I guess we have a probability that particle gets reflected?

Please tell me if my reasoning is correct:) cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
trelek2 said:
Is the reflection coefficient in this case simply (E-V)/E ??

No, it's

[tex]R = {\left( \frac {\sqrt{E} - \sqrt{E - V}} {\sqrt{E} + \sqrt{E - V}} \right)}^2[/tex]

Can anyone show me a more formal explanation, however not as formal as in books (so that i understand :)

I don't know any other way to justify this particular equation except by solving the Schrödinger equation on both sides of the step boundary, and applying the boundary conditions at the boundary, as described http://www.cobalt.chem.ucalgary.ca/ziegler/educmat/chm386/rudiment/models/barrier/barsola.htm.

What does the quantum mechanical coefficient really tell us (in comparison with classical thinking)?
If we think about it classically I think we can be sure that particle gets transmitted at boundary, but loses some energy.
From the QM point of view, on the other hand I guess we have a probability that particle gets reflected?

Exactly. If you have a particle coming in from the "low" side of the step, it has probability R of ending up on that side of the step, moving in the opposite direction; and probability 1 - R of ending up on the other side of the step, continuing in the same direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Step potential - question about reflection coefficient

What is step potential?

Step potential is a sudden change in potential energy at a specific location, such as a step in a conducting material or a sudden change in electric potential in a circuit. It can also refer to a sudden change in potential energy between two mediums, such as a change in refractive index at the interface of two materials.

How is step potential calculated?

Step potential can be calculated using the reflection coefficient, which is the ratio of the reflected wave amplitude to the incident wave amplitude. It is also influenced by the angle of incidence and the properties of the medium, such as refractive index and electrical conductivity.

What is the reflection coefficient?

The reflection coefficient is a measure of how much of an incident wave is reflected back when it encounters a change in medium. It is calculated by taking the ratio of the reflected wave amplitude to the incident wave amplitude. A higher reflection coefficient indicates a larger reflection of the incident wave.

How does the reflection coefficient affect step potential?

The reflection coefficient plays a crucial role in determining the magnitude and nature of the step potential. A higher reflection coefficient will result in a larger step potential, while a lower reflection coefficient will result in a smaller step potential. It is also influenced by the angle of incidence and the properties of the medium.

What are some real-world applications of step potential and reflection coefficient?

Step potential and reflection coefficient have various applications in different fields, such as in electronics and optics. In electronics, it is used to study and design circuits, while in optics, it is used to understand the behavior of light at interfaces. It is also used in materials science to study the properties of different materials, such as electrical conductivity and refractive index.