Step down Transformer is it possible?

• Thread starter gatzos_barca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, this person is looking into a "free energy" device that is said to generate up to 20,000 volts and 4 amps. They want to step it down to 240 volts and 10 amps to use in an EU household. The device is said to be from the 1800s and may be a scam.
gatzos_barca
Step down Transformer is it possible??

20,000 Volts
4 Amps

its something very simple. There is a "free energy" device that generates the above voltages and currents. What I want is to drive it into a step down transformer reducing it ro 240 V and 10 A (EU household power ratings). Would you think that is possible? Is there a transformer like that in the market?

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF;
There is a "free energy" device
I don't think dirty words are allowed here ;)
What I want is to drive it into a step down transformer reducing it ro 240 V and 10 A (EU household power ratings)
Why would you want to do that? Its a scam!

Anyway, you'd probably have to build something.

gatzos_barca said:
20,000 Volts
4 Amps

AC or DC? In some countries the local grid is 20kV but usually three phase AC.

Anyway why not just ask the inventor what he used :-)

PS...

There is a "free energy" device that...

No there isn't.

Someone who falls for a "free energy" device at 20,000 volts is in line for a Darwin Award.

Sorry gatzos, but no one is going to take "free energy" devices seriously here.

Yes you can step down from 20000 volts to 240 volts, but how depends on whether the 20000 is AC or DC.

Last edited:

I was curious about which scam it may be and gooogled the parameters we know... turns out that 20000V is a fairly common claim in the FE world, but the standout types are concentric electrode capacitors.
http://www.aetherscience.org/www-aspden-org-uk/2.htm
(right at the bottom)
... but the Earliest I've seen date to Tesla.
http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/Chapt11.html
(apologies about the quality of the sites - it is representative of junk science I'm afraid)

So I figure: something of this ilk.

"turns out that 20000V is a fairly common claim in the FE world,"

Perhaps they want to kill their customers before they turn up complaining that the devices don't work.

Thread locked.

Related to Step down Transformer is it possible?

1. What is a step down transformer?

A step down transformer is an electrical device that reduces the voltage of an alternating current (AC) electrical system. It is designed to convert high voltage electricity into lower voltage electricity, making it safer for use in homes and other applications.

2. How does a step down transformer work?

A step down transformer works by using two sets of wire coils, a primary coil and a secondary coil, that are wrapped around an iron core. When an AC current passes through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field that induces a current in the secondary coil, resulting in a lower voltage output.

3. Is it possible to convert a step up transformer into a step down transformer?

No, it is not possible to convert a step up transformer into a step down transformer. The winding configuration and number of turns in the coils are designed specifically for the intended voltage conversion. Altering these components would result in an inefficient and potentially dangerous transformer.

4. What are the applications of a step down transformer?

A step down transformer is commonly used in household appliances, such as refrigerators, televisions, and computers, to provide a safe and efficient power supply. It is also used in industrial settings to power machinery and equipment that require lower voltages.

5. What are the advantages of using a step down transformer?

The main advantage of using a step down transformer is the ability to safely and efficiently convert high voltage electricity into lower voltage electricity for use in various applications. It also helps to reduce power consumption and minimize the risk of electrical accidents and damage to equipment.