Step-by-Step Guide to Factoring Polynomials: Solving a Tricky Problem

In summary, the problem is to factor the polynomial 16a^2 - 24ab + 9b^2 - 25c^2. The approach suggested is to first express the first three terms as a perfect square, which is (4a-3b)^2, and then factor it as a difference of two squares. This yields the final answer of (4a-3b+5c)(4a-3b-5c). The importance of checking the answer is also emphasized.
Hollysmoke
I am stuck on this one polynomail factoring problem and I was wondering if someone could help me with it:

16a^2 - 24ab + 9b^2 - 25c^2

I tried factoring the first 3 terms as a trinomial but I'm not sure if that's what I'm supposed to do. What I wrote down so far is:

(4a -5c)(4a +5c)

Physics news on Phys.org
Note: There should be a space between the 5c and 4a

Hint: Express the first three terms as a perfect square then factor the difference between squares. :)

Hollysmoke said:
I am stuck on this one polynomail factoring problem and I was wondering if someone could help me with it:

16a^2 - 24ab + 9b^2 - 25c^2

I tried factoring the first 3 terms as a trinomial but I'm not sure if that's what I'm supposed to do. What I wrote down so far is:

(4a -5c)(4a +5c)

[tex] (16a^2-24ab+9b^2)-25c^2 [/tex]
[tex] (4a-3b)^2-25c^2 [/tex]

Now note that this is in the form of the difference of two squares, i.e.
[tex] x^2-y^2 = (x+y)(x-y) [/tex] where x = 4a-3b and y = 5c. So finally:
[tex] (16a^2-24ab+9b^2)-25c^2 = (4a-3b+5c)(4a-3b-5c) [/tex].

(And, of course, always multiply it back out to check the answer.)

-Dan

and of course, after you find X, put it into the original problem to make sure your value works.

I think you should leave something for the OP to do! :)

Related to Step-by-Step Guide to Factoring Polynomials: Solving a Tricky Problem

1. What are polynomials?

Polynomials are mathematical expressions that consist of variables, constants, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. They are commonly written in the form of ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do I know if a polynomial can be factored?

A polynomial can be factored if it is written in its simplest form and has at least two terms. Additionally, the polynomial must have a common factor among all of its terms, which can be identified by finding the greatest common factor (GCF).

3. What is the difference between factoring and solving a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial means breaking it down into simpler, equivalent expressions, while solving a polynomial means finding the value(s) of the variable(s) that make the equation true. Factoring is a necessary step in solving a polynomial equation, but it is not the final solution.

4. How do I solve a tricky polynomial problem?

A tricky polynomial problem may involve more than one step in the factoring process, such as using the difference of squares or grouping method. To solve these problems, it is important to carefully examine the polynomial for any patterns that can be used to simplify it, and to follow the steps of the factoring process systematically.

5. Are there any shortcuts for factoring polynomials?

There are certain special cases where shortcuts can be used to factor polynomials. For example, the difference of squares and sum/difference of cubes formulas can be applied to specific types of polynomials. However, for most polynomials, the standard factoring process is necessary to find the solution.