Stellar formation and evolution

In summary, the accepted theory for the birth of our solar system is that one or more nearby stars went supernova and the shock waves caused our gas cloud to collapse, forming our solar system. However, there is a hypothesis that suggests a large star could go supernova or nova and then accrete a new atmosphere from the remains, reigniting as a smaller, more stable star. Some believe that this could explain the heavy elements found in our solar system, but others argue that it may be difficult for a nova event to allow for planetary formation. There is also evidence suggesting that binary star systems could potentially reignite after a nova event, depending on the specific pairing of stars.
RedAether
I know the general accepted theory to the birth of our solar system. One or more nearby stars went supernova and the shock waves caused our gas cloud to collapse forming our solar system. However, i wanted an opinion from those with more knowledge on a hypothesis that seems to make some sense to me.

Could it be possible for a large star to go supernova/nova, and then the remaining core to accrete a new atmosphere from the remains and reignite as a smaller, more stable star? It would seem to me that it would be difficult for our solar system to accumulate the heavy elements that we have just from accepting blown out bits from nearby supernovas. However, if a star underwent a smallish nova early in life and then reignited as a smaller star there would be plenty of material for rocky planet formation like we have now.

Thoughts? I could easily be way off, and would really appreciate any critical comments.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
RedAether said:
One or more nearby stars went supernova and the shock waves caused our gas cloud to collapse forming our solar system.
I don't think the SN is necessary for the gas cloud to collapse - gas clouds pretty much collapse anyway. A lot of the SN theories were the idea that there was something rare and special needed to create our solar system - often promoted by people with a certain creation myth. We now know that solar systems and planets are very common.

Could it be possible for a large star to go supernova/nova, and then the remaining core to accrete a new atmosphere from the remains and reignite as a smaller, more stable star?
A SN is pretty violent. A large star will create a black hole, a smaller progenitor creates a neutron star. There is a class of giant stars that escape the SN fate by expelling a large part of their atmosphere late in their life and ending up as smaller cooler dwarfs

It would seem to me that it would be difficult for our solar system to accumulate the heavy elements that we have just from accepting blown out bits from nearby supernovas.
The early stars in the galaxy were massive low metal stars with very short lives (few 100Myr) that went SN. There were many generations of these before metal rich stars like our sun were formed.

Remember you only need a SN for elements heavier than iron - regular large stars produce the carbon,oxygen, silicon, magnesium that our planet is made from

Thanks for the reply. I guess I would like to clarify my basic question. I do understand that SNs create nearly all of the heavy elements, and that before our sun was born many generations of young stars died violent deaths creating a bunch of heavy elements.

However, what i am really trying to get at is this: Is it possible that our sun (or any similar metal rich star like our own) is a direct remnant from a previous small nova event? Or would even a small nova prevent (or destroy) planetary formation around that star?

The current model of stellar birth is fairly peaceful (you know besides all the accretion disks and fusion ignition going on). Is there any evidence (for or against) small stellar explosions early in their life cycles?

Is it possible that our sun (or any similar metal rich star like our own) is a direct remnant from a previous small nova event?
Read up on nova events.
Those happen if you "accrete a new atmosphere [...] and reignite". What you get is not really "a smaller, more stable star". You get a nova.

I don't think the left-over core of a supernova can accumulate enough gas from the explosion remnants to fully reignite - the explosion would have blown them too far away.

However, with binary star systems, it is strongly believed that if one star dies and leaves behind a white dwarf, it can accumulate mass from the other star and then reignite. There are many different versions of this scenario, involving different stellar pairings in the binary, all of which would act differently, I think one combination is believed to be responsible for gamma ray bursts, I think one of the stars has to be a neutron star and the other a red giant, but I don't know for sure.

Related to Stellar formation and evolution

1. What is stellar formation?

Stellar formation is the process by which stars are born from clouds of gas and dust in the universe. This process involves gravitational collapse, where the gas and dust particles are pulled together by their own gravity, eventually forming a dense core that will become the star.

2. How long does it take for a star to form?

The time it takes for a star to form varies depending on its initial mass. On average, it takes about 50 million years for a star like our sun to form. However, more massive stars can form much quicker, in as little as a few hundred thousand years.

3. What determines the lifespan of a star?

The lifespan of a star is determined by its mass. The more massive a star is, the shorter its lifespan will be. This is because more massive stars burn through their fuel at a faster rate, resulting in a shorter life. Smaller, less massive stars can burn for billions of years.

4. How does a star evolve?

As a star ages, it goes through different stages of evolution. This process is driven by the balance between the outward pressure of nuclear fusion in the star's core and the inward pull of gravity. Depending on its initial mass, a star can evolve into a red giant, a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

5. What is the fate of our sun?

Our sun, like all stars, will eventually run out of fuel and stop fusing hydrogen in its core. It will then expand into a red giant, consuming the inner planets of our solar system in the process. After it expels its outer layers, it will become a white dwarf and eventually cool down to become a black dwarf, marking the end of its life.