Steam Tables: Oil fired boiler questions

In summary, the conversation is about a practice mechanical science exam for HNC engineering. The question sheet for the exam is attached and the person is having difficulty with parts a) and b) of the question. The equation Q = M*c*(Temperature Difference) is mentioned and the person thinks that their calculations for these parts may be incorrect. It is pointed out that the problem statement states a pressure of 1050 kPa, not 1.5 bar as the person's calculations suggest. The person realizes their mistake and will correct it, and also provide a better image.
BenC1994

Homework Statement

This is from a practice mechanical science exam for HNC engineering.

See attachment for the question sheet off a practice exam. I have no idea how to do this after the a and b parts and my answers for which are below the question (underlined), any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

Q = M*c*(Temperature Difference)
I think...

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 1431102341742-301758455.jpg
    1431102341742-301758455.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
BenC1994 said:

Homework Statement

This is from a practice mechanical science exam for HNC engineering.

See attachment for the question sheet off a practice exam. I have no idea how to do this after the a and b parts and my answers for which are below the question (underlined), any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

Q = M*c*(Temperature Difference)
I think...

The Attempt at a Solution

You should double check your calculations for parts a) and b).

According to the problem statement, the boiler operates at a pressure of 1050 kPa. {At least, that's what I can read from the tiny image attached.}

Your solution for part a) says that the properties of saturated steam are for at pressure of 1.5 bar.

Your solution for part b) appears to be using the enthalpy of superheated steam at a pressure of 1.5 bar.

What's the definition of a bar?

SteamKing said:
You should double check your calculations for parts a) and b).

According to the problem statement, the boiler operates at a pressure of 1050 kPa. {At least, that's what I can read from the tiny image attached.}

Your solution for part a) says that the properties of saturated steam are for at pressure of 1.5 bar.

Your solution for part b) appears to be using the enthalpy of superheated steam at a pressure of 1.5 bar.

What's the definition of a bar?
Ah I see my mistake with the answer now, 1050kpa would be 10.5 bar not 1.5 Bar

1.5 bar is 1.5x10^5 pa or n/m^2

Will correct mistake, input correct figures for h and include a better image...

Related to Steam Tables: Oil fired boiler questions

1. What is a steam table?

A steam table is a type of table that provides information about the properties of steam at different temperatures and pressures. It includes data such as specific enthalpy, specific volume, and specific entropy, which are essential for designing and operating steam systems.

2. How do oil fired boilers work?

Oil fired boilers work by burning fuel oil to heat water, which then produces steam. The steam is then used to power turbines or heat buildings. The fuel oil is typically stored in a tank and pumped into the boiler where it is ignited by an electric spark.

3. What are the benefits of using an oil fired boiler?

Oil fired boilers have several benefits, including their efficiency and reliability. They also have a long lifespan and require minimal maintenance. Additionally, oil is readily available and can be easily stored, making it a convenient fuel source.

4. How do you calculate the efficiency of an oil fired boiler?

The efficiency of an oil fired boiler can be calculated by dividing the heat output by the fuel input. This calculation takes into account the amount of heat produced by the boiler compared to the amount of fuel consumed. The higher the efficiency, the more cost-effective and environmentally friendly the boiler is.

5. How often should an oil fired boiler be serviced?

It is recommended to have an oil fired boiler serviced once a year by a qualified technician. This service should include cleaning and inspection of all components, as well as checking for any potential issues or necessary repairs. Regular servicing can help maintain the efficiency and prolong the lifespan of the boiler.