Steam Table Issues: Convert m3/hr to kg/hr @14.5 barg, 1150 deg C

In summary: Hi I'm trying to convert m3/hr to kg/hr for a steam system operating at 14.5 barg and 1150 deg C. I was planning on using steam tables to get the specific volume but anywhere i look the temperature seems too high to have any values.Any suggestions of places that do have the values I'm looking for? Or do ye think the temperature meter is just wrong..Thanks. The temperature might be too high because the pressure is too high. The table you gave says that the temperature range is -200 to 2000°C and pressures up to 1.4 and 1.5 MPa.
clobag89
Hi
I'm trying to convert m3/hr to kg/hr for a steam system operating at 14.5 barg and 1150 deg C. I was planning on using steam tables to get the specific volume but anywhere i look the temperature seems too high to have any values.
Any suggestions of places that do have the values I'm looking for? Or do ye think the temperature meter is just wrong..

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Would the table here help. I know nothing about engineering with steam but the info you need could be in here.
(Or is the problem that this sort of table doesn't tell you what you want?)

Last edited:
That seems a terribly high temperature for that pressure.

Jobrag said:
That seems a terribly high temperature for that pressure.

I have no experience of this but what might be more typical?

You weren't a colleague of George Stevenson by any chance? Haha

Colleague! I taught him all he knew.

Boilers were not strong in his day.

clobag89 said:
Hi
I'm trying to convert m3/hr to kg/hr for a steam system operating at 14.5 barg and 1150 deg C. I was planning on using steam tables to get the specific volume but anywhere i look the temperature seems too high to have any values.
Any suggestions of places that do have the values I'm looking for? Or do ye think the temperature meter is just wrong..

Thanks
Is one sure of the pressure? Otherwise, one has extreme superheat, so one would have to use superheat tables rather than saturated steam tables.

Here is a table from NIST that gives steam properties over the temperature range 0-2000°C and pressures including 1.4 and 1.5 MPa.
http://www.nist.gov/srd/upload/NISTIR5078-Tab3.pdf

It would make more sense if the pressure was 145 bar, and even then 1150°C is questionable, although gas turbines have inlet temperatures approaching ~1500°C.

In water, the critical point occurs at around 647 K (374 °C; 705 °F) and 22.064 MPa (3200 psia, 218 atm or 220.9 bar), so it may not be practical to have such a high steam temperature.

Related to Steam Table Issues: Convert m3/hr to kg/hr @14.5 barg, 1150 deg C

1. What is a steam table and how is it used?

A steam table is a tool used by engineers and scientists to determine the properties of water and steam at different temperatures and pressures. It contains a series of tables and graphs that provide information on the thermodynamic properties of steam, such as temperature, pressure, density, enthalpy, and entropy.

2. How do I convert m3/hr to kg/hr at a specific pressure and temperature?

To convert from m3/hr to kg/hr, you will need to use the steam table to determine the density of the steam at the given pressure and temperature. Once you have the density, you can multiply it by the volumetric flow rate (m3/hr) to get the mass flow rate (kg/hr).

3. Can you provide an example of converting m3/hr to kg/hr using the steam table?

Sure. Let's say we have a steam flow rate of 50 m3/hr at a pressure of 14.5 barg and a temperature of 1150 deg C. Using the steam table, we can find the density of steam at these conditions to be 0.175 kg/m3. Multiplying this density by the flow rate of 50 m3/hr, we get a mass flow rate of 8.75 kg/hr.

4. What is the significance of using 14.5 barg and 1150 deg C as the reference conditions?

These reference conditions are commonly used in the industry for steam calculations. 14.5 barg is equivalent to 14.5 bar absolute, or 14.5 times the atmospheric pressure at sea level. 1150 deg C is the saturation temperature of water at 14.5 barg. These specific conditions are used to ensure consistency in steam calculations and allow for easier comparison of results.

5. Are there any limitations to using the steam table for steam calculations?

The steam table is based on idealized conditions and may not be accurate for real-world applications. Additionally, it only provides information for a limited range of pressures and temperatures. It's important to understand the limitations of the steam table and use it appropriately for your specific application.