Steam required to boil a substance?

• Thread starter SR714ever
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boil Steam
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of melting plastic and the use of a boiler to generate heat for this purpose. The speaker is seeking help in calculating the required mass flow rate of steam for boiling the incoming plastic. They are also inquiring about the thermal properties of the plastic to determine the necessary amount of heat.
SR714ever
Hi there,

I am working on a process in which I have to melt 100 kg/h of plastic. The best way we thought of doing this was to use a boiler (steam generator) to produce sufficient heat to boil the plastics in time. I am currently trying to choose the right boiler for the system. Yet, I do not know how to calculate the required mass flow rate of steam to boil the mass flow rate of the incoming plastics. Can anyone give me an equation, or explain how I can calculate this?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
First you need to know how much heat you need. Do you know the thermal properties of your plastic?

Related to Steam required to boil a substance?

1. What is the definition of "steam required to boil a substance?"

The steam required to boil a substance refers to the amount of heat energy needed to convert a liquid into a gas at its boiling point. This process is known as boiling and it occurs when the vapor pressure of the liquid is equal to the atmospheric pressure.

2. How is the amount of steam required to boil a substance calculated?

The amount of steam required to boil a substance is calculated using the heat of vaporization, which is the amount of heat energy needed to convert a liquid into a gas at its boiling point. This value can be found in reference tables or calculated using the substance's specific heat capacity and boiling point.

3. What factors can affect the steam required to boil a substance?

The steam required to boil a substance can be affected by several factors, including the substance's specific heat capacity, boiling point, and pressure. Higher specific heat capacity and boiling point require more energy to convert the substance into a gas, while higher pressure can raise the boiling point and require more energy for boiling.

4. How does altitude affect the steam required to boil a substance?

Altitude can affect the steam required to boil a substance because the atmospheric pressure decreases with increasing altitude. This means that the boiling point of a substance will decrease at higher altitudes, requiring less energy to boil.

5. Is the steam required to boil a substance always the same?

No, the steam required to boil a substance can vary depending on the substance's properties and the conditions in which it is being boiled. Factors such as altitude, pressure, and the presence of impurities can affect the amount of steam required to boil a substance.