Photon Radius: Does Photon Have Energy Boundaries?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a photon and its energy containment. The question of whether other particles or waves have a radius in which their energy is conserved is brought up, with speculation that if other particles or waves do not have a radius, then photons may not either. The relationship between particles and waves is also mentioned, with the idea that a photon can be observed as either a particle or a wave. The conversation also brings up the idea of confining a photon between two points and the effects on its frequency. The question of the radius of a photon in flight is posed multiple times, with varying opinions and no definitive answer. The conversation ends with a question about measuring the size of a photon and the possibility of changing radius
ranyart
Does the Photon have a Radius in which its energy (hv) is contained?

Science news on Phys.org
do other waves or particles have a radius in which there energy is conserved? i shouldn't think that photons would if other particles or waves dont.

Originally posted by jimmy p
do other waves or particles have a radius in which there energy is conserved? i shouldn't think that photons would if other particles or waves dont.

Ok, let's simplify things?

It is generally given that a photon moves from a mass-point to another mass-point, it communicates from matter to matter. At what distance is the energy of a photon contained within a Packet of space?

The particle-wave duality confines you to make observations of either a particle(packet/quanta) or the same energy spread over?.. and as traveling between two points as a wave.

If you confine yourself to the wave principle, then this wave propergates over a distance, measured by its wavelength. Can you confine this wavelength in situ between two mass-points? For instance if you have a chamber where at one end you have an atom that will accept a single photon, and at the other you have an atom that will emmit a single photon.

Does the photon spread out on its way from one atom to the other? if so does the frequency of the Energy change in any way?

Another thing one needs to ask?, is for Parametric downconvertion, the photons are slowed down within a trapping area, if a photon has no size?.. then how can it be confined within a specific area?

I ask again, what is the radius of a photon in flight?..if any.

Green!

What is the sound of one hand clapping?*

Hmmm A photon...Eberywhere at once and a ZRM particle.....
OK , Got it...> 10^35m and <Ho at t=0
That close enuf?

I'm inclined to think you will get several different answers to this. I would conjecture that the radius is continually changing in flight, and you would have to place an element of time in your question.

Last edited:
A better question: is it possible to MEASURE the size of a photon, and if so, what were the results?

1. What is a photon radius?

A photon radius refers to the distance from the center of a photon to its outermost boundary. It is a theoretical concept used in physics to describe the size of a photon.

2. Does a photon have a physical size?

No, a photon does not have a physical size or boundary. It is considered a point particle, meaning it has no volume or spatial extent.

3. Can a photon's energy be measured or bounded?

Yes, a photon's energy can be measured and it is bounded by the frequency or wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation it carries. This is described by the equation E = hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.

4. How does the energy of a photon relate to its frequency?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, so does the energy of the photon. This relationship is described by the equation E = hf, as mentioned in the previous question.

5. Is there a limit to the energy of a photon?

There is no known limit to the energy of a photon. However, according to the theory of relativity, as an object with mass approaches the speed of light, its energy increases infinitely. This means that a photon, which travels at the speed of light, has infinite energy.