Steady State Heat Equation in a One-Dimensional Rod

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of determining the equilibrium temperature distribution for a one-dimensional rod with two different materials in perfect thermal contact. The heat equation was used to solve for the temperature distribution in each section of the rod, with the additional boundary condition that the heat flow out of one region must equal the heat flow into the other. The final solution was obtained by equating the heat fluxes at the interface and using the first derivative instead of the second derivative.
Ninty64

Homework Statement

Determine the equilibrium temperature distribution for a one-dimensional rod composed of two different materials in perfect thermal contact at x=1. For 0<x<1, there is one material (cp=1, K0=1) with a constant source (Q=1), whereas for the other 1<x<2 there are no sources (Q=0, cp=2, K0=2) with u(0) = 0 and u(2) = 0.

Homework Equations

heat equation:
2rwt0z6.png

The Attempt at a Solution

First I did the calculations for the first part of the rod (0<x<1)
2h30xe8.png

Then I did the calculations for the second part of the rod (1<x<2)
212u6v9.png

Then I tried to set them equal at x=1
2s9947a.png

And now I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to find out the values of the constants, and I don't feel confident. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a second boundary condition. Think about the fact that the heat flow out of one region has to equal the heat flow into the other to conserve energy.

Oh! I get it. Since the bar is in equilibrium, the heat will be flowing away from the heat source into the sinks at the end. That means that the the heat flows should be equal at x=1:
image.png

The solving the system of equations yeilds:
image.png

And the final solution should be:
image.jpg

I checked the boundary conditions and they all seemed correct. Thank you! :)

P.S. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where this topic went. Thank you for moving it!

Is the heat flow simply du/dx or do you have to throw the Ks in there? I don't know offhand, but it might be something for you to check.

P.S. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where this topic went. Thank you for moving it!
No problem.

You must equate fluxes so the conductivity is definitely needed.

You have continuity of both heat flux and temperature at the interface.

That makes sense. So instead of [itex]\frac{\partial^2u_1}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial^2u_2}{\partial x^2}[/itex], it should have been [itex]\frac{\partial^2u_1}{\partial x^2} = 2\frac{\partial^2u_2}{\partial x^2} [/itex] since I'm setting the fluxes equal.

Thanks for that extra insight. :smile:

You must use the first derivative not the second derivative to equate heat fluxes. Eache is multiplied by its respective thermal conductivity.

Related to Steady State Heat Equation in a One-Dimensional Rod

1. What is the steady state heat equation?

The steady state heat equation is a mathematical equation that describes the flow of heat through a one-dimensional rod. It takes into account the temperature distribution, thermal conductivity, and boundary conditions of the rod.

2. What is a one-dimensional rod?

A one-dimensional rod is a physical object that has length but no width or height. It can be represented mathematically as a line segment and is commonly used to model heat transfer in engineering and physics problems.

3. How is the steady state heat equation derived?

The steady state heat equation is derived from the fundamental principles of heat transfer, including Fourier's law of heat conduction and the conservation of energy. It can also be derived using differential equations and boundary conditions.

4. What are the applications of the steady state heat equation?

The steady state heat equation has many practical applications, such as predicting the temperature distribution in a metal rod as it is heated, calculating the heat transfer through a building wall, and determining the thermal properties of materials. It is also used in engineering and design of heat exchangers, heat sinks, and other thermal systems.

5. How does the steady state heat equation differ from the transient heat equation?

The steady state heat equation describes heat transfer in a system that has reached a state of equilibrium, where the temperature does not change with time. The transient heat equation, on the other hand, takes into account the change in temperature over time and is used to analyze systems that are still in the process of reaching equilibrium.