Steady state conduction in a hollow sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses a conduction problem involving a sphere with given dimensions and temperatures. The attempted solution is provided using a formula and values, resulting in a value that is half of the actual answer. The expert points out a mistake in the substitution and provides the correct expression. The final summary also highlights the requested assistance from the expert.
rcummings89
Hello,

I'm having trouble with a conduction problem, I have access to the answer but not the solution. I did it on my own and my value is half of what the answer is. Now, my calculus is a little rusty, but I don't know where I am going wrong. So the dimensions and temperatures of the sphere are:

ri=0.01 m
ro=0.02 m
Ti=70 oC
To=100 oC
k=0.58 W/m K

Attempt:

q/A = -k dT/dr

q/A dr = -k dT

Where A = 4[itex]\pi[/itex]r2 then

q ∫ dr/r2 evaluated from ri to ro = -4 [itex]\pi[/itex] k ∫ dT from Ti to To yields...

-q (ro-1 - ri-1) = -4 [itex]\pi[/itex] k (To - Ti)

Substituting in the values, I get q = 4 [itex]\pi[/itex] [(0.58)(100-70)](0.02-0.01) = 2.18 W

The actual answer is double that and negative, -4.37 W. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your algebraic solution is correct, but you substituted into it incorrectly. The problem is with the ro and ri. You should have (1/ri-1/ro) in the denominator.

Related to Steady state conduction in a hollow sphere

What is steady state conduction in a hollow sphere?

Steady state conduction in a hollow sphere is a thermal conduction process in which there is a constant temperature gradient within the sphere, leading to a steady flow of heat from the inner surface to the outer surface. This occurs when the temperature at the inner and outer surfaces of the sphere are kept at constant values.

How is steady state conduction in a hollow sphere different from other forms of heat transfer?

Steady state conduction in a hollow sphere is different from other forms of heat transfer, such as convection and radiation, because it involves the transfer of heat through a solid medium (the sphere) rather than through a fluid or empty space. It also occurs at a constant rate, instead of fluctuating with changes in temperature or other external factors.

What factors affect the rate of steady state conduction in a hollow sphere?

The rate of steady state conduction in a hollow sphere is affected by several factors, including the thermal conductivity of the material the sphere is made of, the thickness of the sphere's walls, and the temperature difference between the inner and outer surfaces of the sphere.

Can steady state conduction in a hollow sphere be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, steady state conduction in a hollow sphere has many practical applications, such as in the design of thermal insulation materials or the cooling of electronic devices. It is also relevant in understanding the Earth's heat transfer processes, as the Earth can be approximated as a hollow sphere with a constant temperature gradient.

How is steady state conduction in a hollow sphere mathematically represented?

The mathematical representation of steady state conduction in a hollow sphere is given by the Fourier's law of conduction, which states that the rate of heat transfer through a material is directly proportional to the temperature gradient and the cross-sectional area, and inversely proportional to the material's thermal conductivity. This can be expressed in the form of an equation, where the heat transfer rate is equal to the thermal conductivity multiplied by the temperature gradient divided by the thickness of the sphere's walls.