Steady Flow-Does That Mean ALL Properties of Flow are Steady?

In summary, turbulence in a vessel or pipe can be considered unsteady-state in a steady-state process.
ltkach2015
QUESTION:

In general: when a flow is considered steady does that mean all properties of the flow are steady?

Or: can a flow have steady and unsteady properties?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can think of one way this can happen, sort of. Different physical processes sometimes act over very different time scales. For example, one can imagine a situation where the pressures in a fluid are approximately constant in time, while the temperatures are still evolving. I suppose you could call it quasi-steady state.

ltkach2015 said:
QUESTION:

In general: when a flow is considered steady does that mean all properties of the flow are steady?

Or: can a flow have steady and unsteady properties?
In a steady flow, nothing is changing with time at each spatial location.

Chet

I would say turbulence in a vessel or pipe could be considered unsteady-state in a steady-state process.

insightful said:
I would say turbulence in a vessel or pipe could be considered unsteady-state in a steady-state process.
Is that your professional judgement in addressing practical problems in turbulent flow? In my judgement, it depends on the time- and spatial scale of the averaging. After all, we don't treat individual molecular collisions and vibrations as part of the unsteadiness, even though that can certainly be regarded as unsteadiness on a very short time and spatial scale. In my experience, the time- and spatial scales in typical practical problems involving turbulent flow does not necessitate specifically treating the system as an unsteady flow. Even when studying how turbulence plays out in determining the stresses in a fluid in turbulent flow, the objective is to average out the statistical variations so that the results can be applied at larger time- and spatial scales. This is called the hierarchy approach.

Chet

Likes Geofleur
Chestermiller said:
Is that your professional judgement in addressing practical problems in turbulent flow?
Of course not. The straw man lives!

insightful said:
Of course not. The straw man lives!
Sometimes a simple answer, on the level of the question asked by the member, is a better choice than a more complicated intricate response (even if the more complicated response fleshes out the answer in greater detail), in terms of giving the member what he needs. It is often less confusing that way. The member will have plenty of opportunity to study the situation in greater detail as his studies progress in the future. In other words, sometimes less is better.

Chet

Related to Steady Flow-Does That Mean ALL Properties of Flow are Steady?

What is steady flow?

Steady flow refers to a type of fluid flow where the properties of the fluid (such as velocity, pressure, and temperature) do not change over time or at a specific point in a system. This means that the flow is constant and does not fluctuate.

Does steady flow mean all properties of flow are steady?

No, steady flow only refers to the properties of the fluid itself. Other factors such as the shape of the object or the size of the system can still change over time in steady flow.

Can steady flow exist in real-life systems?

Yes, steady flow can exist in various real-life systems such as pipes, channels, and rivers. However, it is important to note that steady flow is an idealized concept and most systems experience some level of turbulence or fluctuation.

What is the difference between steady flow and unsteady flow?

The main difference between steady flow and unsteady flow is that in steady flow, the properties of the fluid do not change over time or at a specific point, while in unsteady flow, the properties can change over time or at a specific point.

Why is steady flow important in fluid mechanics?

Steady flow is an important concept in fluid mechanics because it allows for the simplification of complex systems and makes it easier to analyze and understand fluid behavior. It is also used as a benchmark to compare with more realistic and dynamic flow conditions.