Understanding GSW 2.2.3: Questions on Vertexoperators and Symmetric Traces

• Thread starter Rene Meyer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about two statements in GSW section 2.2.3 on Vertexoperators. The first statement discusses how the L_m's of the Virasoro algebra generate transformations, and the second statement is about the conditions for a tensor to be symmetric and traceless. The conversation ends with the speaker stating that they are new to string theory and asking for clarification.
Rene Meyer
Hello,

I stumbled about two things in GSW section 2.2.3 on Vertexoperators,
that I don't really understand.

The first one is GSW's statement just before 2.2.54, p. 88, that the
L_m's of the Virasoro algebra generate transformations like

tau -> tau -ie^{im tau}

... From what was said on p. 65 of the generators of the residual
symmetry and on p. 72 from the Virasoro generators I know that these
should be conserved charges, thus generating some transformations with
f(sigma^+) = e^imsigma^+ and f(sigma^-) = e^imsigma^-, which is at
sigma = 0 just e^imtau. But how to get from this result to the above
transformation law?

The second one is the statement on p. 92 that for the two conditions
k_mu zeta^munu = 0 and tr zeta = 0 the tensor zeta should be a
symmetric traceless tensor. Tracelessness is clear, but how to show
that under this condition the tensor should be symmetric?

I hope that these questions are not too elementary, but as I am new
with the string stuff, many elementary things bother me most,
sometimes.

René.

--
René Meyer
Student of Physics & Mathematics
Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China

Physics news on Phys.org
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Rene Meyer wrote:

> The first one is GSW's statement just before 2.2.54, p. 88, that the
> L_m's of the Virasoro algebra generate transformations like
>
> tau -> tau -ie^{im tau}

To see this just go the other way round. Check that a field of conformal
weight J has the commutator given in (2.2.54).

> The second one is the statement on p. 92 that for the two conditions
> k_mu zeta^munu = 0 and tr zeta = 0 the tensor zeta should be a
> symmetric traceless tensor. Tracelessness is clear, but how to show
> that under this condition the tensor should be symmetric?

Symmetry follows implicitly from the form of formula (2.2.66), where
antisymmetric components of zeta do not contribute. k_m zeta^mn = 0
is responsible for the statement "... to be the polarization tensor..."
because this removes the unphysical timelike polarization.

Hello René,

Thank you for sharing your questions on GSW 2.2.3 and vertex operators. I will do my best to provide some clarification on these topics.

Regarding the first question about the transformation law, it is important to note that the L_m's of the Virasoro algebra are not the same as the conserved charges mentioned on p. 65 and p. 72. The L_m's are generators of the conformal transformations, while the conserved charges are generators of the residual symmetries. Therefore, the transformation law tau -> tau -ie^{im tau} is a result of the conformal transformations generated by the L_m's, not the residual symmetries.

For your second question, the condition k_mu zeta^munu = 0 and tr zeta = 0 implies that the tensor zeta is traceless and satisfies the condition zeta^munu = zeta^numu. This means that the tensor is symmetric. To see this, you can use the definition of a symmetric tensor, which states that a tensor is symmetric if it is invariant under the exchange of its indices. In this case, exchanging the indices mu and nu in zeta^munu will not change the tensor since zeta^munu = zeta^numu. Therefore, under the given conditions, the tensor zeta is both traceless and symmetric.

I hope this helps clarify your questions. If you have any further inquiries, please feel free to ask.

1. What is GSW 2.2.3 and why is it important in science?

GSW 2.2.3 is a mathematical framework used in theoretical physics to understand certain physical phenomena, such as quantum field theory. It is important because it allows scientists to make predictions and calculations about these phenomena, which can then be tested through experiments.

2. What are vertex operators and how do they relate to GSW 2.2.3?

Vertex operators are mathematical objects used in GSW 2.2.3 to describe the interactions between elementary particles. They are essential in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum field theory.

3. What are symmetric traces and why are they important in GSW 2.2.3?

Symmetric traces are mathematical tools used to calculate certain properties of particles, such as their masses and spin. They are important in GSW 2.2.3 because they allow for precise calculations and predictions about particle behaviors.

4. How does GSW 2.2.3 contribute to our understanding of the universe?

GSW 2.2.3 is a fundamental framework in theoretical physics that helps us understand the behavior of particles and their interactions. It allows us to make predictions and calculations that can be tested through experiments, ultimately leading to a deeper understanding of the universe.

5. Are there any practical applications of GSW 2.2.3?

While GSW 2.2.3 is primarily used in theoretical physics, it has also found applications in other fields such as condensed matter physics and string theory. Additionally, the mathematical concepts and techniques used in GSW 2.2.3 have also been applied in computer science and other areas of mathematics.