Statistics: Probability of False Negative during Measurement

In summary, Stephen has asked how to find the total probability of false negatives given that x >= a but not exactly known. The probability of a false negative can be found by integrating the probability of x < a given y < a over all possible x values.
n00bcake22
Hello Everyone,

My statistics is terribly rusty so I am turning to all of you for assistance! I am in the process of reviewing my old text but I figured this may be quite a bit quicker.

Homework Statement

Suppose "x" is normally distributed with "mu_1" and "sigma_1." Now suppose x is measured with a device whose output is also normally distributed where "mu_2" equals the true value of x and has a standard deviation of "sigma_2."

I am trying to figure out how to find the total probability that the measurement device will say x < "a" (some value < mu_1) when in fact x >= a (i.e. a false negative).

If that makes sense...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to determine P(x < a) for the x-distribution alone and could determine the probability of the false negative if I was given a particular, known x-value but I have no idea how to find the TOTAL probability of false negatives when x >=a but not exactly known. This has been driving me crazy all morning.

Thanks in advance Everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
for a given x value the probabilty of a false negative will be the "tail" of the measurement distribution that spreads below a.

So call a mearuement y
y = x+e
where
x is the actual quatinty to be measured (Normallly distributed RV, N(mu_1, sigma_1))
x is the actual quatinty to be measured (Normallly distributed RV, (0, sigma_2)))

so as discussed you should be able to find
P(y<a|x)

now sum this over all possible x and its probabilty distribution

I think the probability of the event { 'a' is greater than or equal to mu1 and the reading is less than or equal to mu1 } is:

[tex] \int_{\mu_1}^\infty \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma_1 } e^\frac{-(a-\mu_1)^2}{2\sigma_1^2}
\big{[} \int_{-\infty}^{\mu_1 - a} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}\sigma_2}e^\frac{-(x-\mu_2)^2}{2\sigma_2^2} dx \big{]} da [/tex]

I don't recognize this expression as anything you could look up in standard statistical tables. It can be computed numerically. I'd bet there are papers written about this type of problem. We just have to find the right keywords for a search.

@Stephen: I think you read my question wrong as your description doesn't match my statement. Lanedance has the correct idea.

x = population = N(mu1, sig1)
y = measurement of x = x_true + e
e = error = N(0, sig2)
a = some lower bound, a < mu1

I would like to know the total probability of false negatives provided that the true value of x >= a (i.e. what is the total probability that for any x >= a, y < a). I think it would look something like this in statistical syntax (wild guess)...

P((y < a)|(x >= a))

So I can calculate P(y<a) at x = a, x = a + dx, x = a + 2*dx, ..., and sum them all up but this doesn't seem right. How do I incorporate the PDF of x itself?

I'm not going to call the measurement error 'e' because of the confusion with the number 'e'. I'll call the measurement error 'w'.

Let [tex] \sigma_3 = \sqrt{ \sigma_1^2 + \sigma_2^2} [/tex]

Let [tex] \mu_3 =\mu_1 [/tex]

Let [tex] C = \frac{1}{ \sqrt{2\pi} \sigma_3} \int_a^\infty e^ \frac{-(y-\mu_3)^2}{2 \sigma_3^2} dy [/tex]

[itex] p(x \leq a | y \geq a) = p(x \leq a |x + w \geq a) = p( x \leq a [/itex] and [itex] x + w \geq a)/ p(x+w \geq a) = [/itex]

[tex] \frac{1}{C} \int_{-\infty}^a \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma_1 } e^\frac{-(x-\mu_1)^2}{2\sigma_1^2}
\big{[} \int_{a-x}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}\sigma_2}e^\frac{-w^2}{2\sigma_2^2} dw \big{]} dx[/tex]

I see that I answered the wrong question, in my last post.Let [tex] C = \frac{1}{ \sqrt{2\pi} \sigma_1} \int_a^\infty e^ \frac{-(x-\mu_1)^2}{2 \sigma_1^2} dy [/tex]

What you asked was:
[itex] p(y < a | x \geq a) = p(x + w < a | x \geq a) = p( x + w < a [/itex] and [itex] x \geq a)/ p(x \geq a) = [/itex]

[tex] \frac{1}{C} \int_a^\infty \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma_1 } e^\frac{-(x-\mu_1)^2}{2\sigma_1^2}
\big{[} \int_{-\infty}^{x-a} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}\sigma_2}e^\frac{-w^2}{2\sigma_2^2} dw \big{]} dx[/tex]

Related to Statistics: Probability of False Negative during Measurement

1. What is the purpose of calculating the probability of false negatives during measurement?

The probability of false negatives during measurement is a statistical measure used to assess the accuracy and reliability of a measurement or test. It helps determine the likelihood that a measurement will incorrectly report a negative result even when the true value is positive.

2. How is the probability of false negatives calculated?

The probability of false negatives is calculated by dividing the number of false negative results by the total number of negative results. This can be expressed as a percentage or a decimal value.

3. What factors can affect the probability of false negatives?

Several factors can affect the probability of false negatives during measurement, such as the sensitivity and specificity of the measurement instrument, the sample size, and the prevalence of the condition being tested for.

4. How can the probability of false negatives be reduced?

To reduce the probability of false negatives, researchers can use more accurate and precise measurement instruments, increase the sample size, and conduct multiple tests to confirm results. Additionally, adjusting the threshold or cutoff for a positive result can also help decrease the likelihood of false negatives.

5. What is the difference between the probability of false negatives and false positives?

The probability of false negatives refers to the likelihood of obtaining a negative result when the true value is positive. On the other hand, the probability of false positives is the likelihood of obtaining a positive result when the true value is negative. Both measures are important for evaluating the accuracy and reliability of a measurement or test.