Statistics: Please calculate my chance of passing the exam

In summary, the conversation discussed an MCQ exam with 90 questions and 4 alternatives, and the need for help calculating the chances of passing. It was mentioned that 3 answers were known to be correct and the rest were guessed. The conversation also considered the chances if the guesses were a little more educated, with a 1/3 chance of hitting the correct answer instead of 1/4. The final conclusion was that a score of 36/90 was needed to pass, and with the passing grade being low, the chance of passing was calculated to be 21.2%.
leopard
I had a MCQ exam today. 90 Questions with 4 alternatives. I need help calculating my chances of passing (which should be really small).

I know 3 of my answers are correct. I gambled on the rest.

Also, please calculate the chance of passing, assuming that my guesses were a little more educated, so that the chance of hitting the correct answer was 1/3 instead of 1/4.

I need 36/90 correct to pass.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's actually not too bad, since the passing grade is low. You need at least 33 out of 87 (since 3 are known to be correct), which is close to the 29 you'd expect guessing 1:3.

Pari tells me:
Code:
sum(k=0,87-33,2.^k*binomial(87,k))/3^87
0 ms.
you have a 21.2% chance.

Related to Statistics: Please calculate my chance of passing the exam

What is the purpose of calculating my chance of passing the exam?

The purpose of calculating your chance of passing the exam is to provide you with an estimate of the likelihood that you will successfully pass the exam based on your performance and understanding of the subject material.

How is my chance of passing the exam determined?

Your chance of passing the exam is determined by analyzing various factors such as your previous academic performance, your understanding of the subject material, and the difficulty level of the exam.

Can my chance of passing the exam change over time?

Yes, your chance of passing the exam can change over time as you continue to study and improve your understanding of the subject material. It is important to regularly assess and update your chances as you progress in your studies.

Is calculating my chance of passing the exam 100% accurate?

No, calculating your chance of passing the exam is not 100% accurate as it is based on various factors and assumptions. It is meant to provide you with an estimate and should not be considered a guarantee of your actual exam performance.

How can I improve my chance of passing the exam?

There are several ways to improve your chance of passing the exam, such as thoroughly studying the subject material, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, practicing with past exams, and managing your time effectively during the exam. It is also important to stay motivated and have a positive mindset towards the exam.