Statistics on social media bot use and detection

In summary: This is why I am researching the social and cultural aspects of bot use in social media. I'm looking into how people perceive the news coming from bots, how credible it appears to be.In summary, social media bots can have a negative impact on social media by spamming users with fake news, changing the wording of messages to make them look more credible, and even reacting to the news.
Michael27
I am currently doing some research on the impact of social media bots. I am looking into the social and cultural aspects of bot use in social media.
The technology I have under wraps but I do not have much information on the social aspect and impact of bot use. I also like to find some statistics on use, detection and prevention.
My premise is that social media is becoming the next electronic garbage spam dump next to email. (If not already so)
Besides this I would like to do some credibility study on the perceived news the bots spam. How credible does news look if it is coming from bots? (regardless if it is true or not)This is some of the information I have found so far. (just a small list but have many more examples but not so much on the social impact or cultural impact.
http://www.cs.wm.edu/~hnw/paper/tdsc12b.pdf
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1407.5225.pdf
https://socialnetworks.mpi-sws.org/papers/TwitterBots_ASONAM15.pdf
http://markusstrohmaier.info/documents/2012_MSM12_socialbots.pdf
http://www.nickdiakopoulos.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/newsbots_final.pdf

Computer science news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
What do you mean by social media bots? Programs that auto post?

Social Media bots are automated systems (AI or Expert Systems) that monitor communications and perform tasks based on their programming. This can be as simple as copy the message to other media or people to elaborate actions including the (not so) subtle change of wording in the original message, or even reacting on the 'news'.
As social media becomes less and less reliable, as it is manipulated by automated entities with agenda's of their own (you can pretty much figure out who benefits the most with this kind of manipulations, the value of such media diminishes or even becomes useless.

Related to Statistics on social media bot use and detection

What is the definition of a social media bot?

A social media bot is a software program that is designed to automatically perform tasks on social media platforms, such as posting content, liking posts, and following other users. These bots can be programmed to act like human users and can be used for various purposes, including promoting a product or service, spreading misinformation, or manipulating social media activity.

How prevalent are social media bots?

The exact number of social media bots is difficult to determine, as they can be created and used by individuals or organizations without detection. However, studies have estimated that bots make up between 9% to 15% of total social media accounts. In some cases, certain platforms may have a higher percentage of bots, such as Twitter, where bots are estimated to make up around 15% of accounts.

What are the potential impacts of social media bots?

Social media bots can have both positive and negative impacts. On the positive side, they can help businesses and organizations automate tasks and reach a wider audience. However, they can also be used to spread misinformation, manipulate social media trends, and deceive users. This can have a significant impact on public opinion and trust in social media platforms.

How can social media bots be detected?

Detecting social media bots can be challenging, as they can be designed to imitate human behavior. However, there are several methods that can be used, such as analyzing account activity and patterns, identifying automated posting behavior, and using machine learning algorithms. Collaboration between researchers, social media platforms, and government agencies can also help in detecting and combating bots.

What are some strategies for preventing the use of social media bots?

Preventing the use of social media bots is a complex issue that requires a multi-faceted approach. Some strategies that can help include implementing stricter security measures for creating accounts, using algorithms to detect and remove bots, and educating users on how to identify and report suspicious activity. Additionally, creating regulations and policies for social media platforms to address the use of bots can also be effective in preventing their use.