Statistics-Mean & Standard Deviation of Absences.

In summary: That is:The mean absences for boys is 15.68 with a standard deviation of 7.07. The mean absences for girls is 10.77 with a standard deviation of 6.14.
mesh
Could someone guide me on the approach I need in resolving this question.
I have seen some online examples of the same question, but what is required in this is different. I'll very much appreciate your support.

Problem:
For boys, the average number of absences in the first grade is 15 with a standard deviation of 7; for girls, the average number of absences is 10 with a standard deviation of 6.In a nationwide survey, suppose 100 boys and 50 girls are sampled.
Required:
What are the mean and standard deviation of the absences of the entire class

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Statistics-Mean & Standard Deviation of Absences.

Do you know the definitions of 'mean' and 'standard deviation'? To find the mean of a collection of data, add all of the values and divide by the number of values. If the mean number of absences of 100 boys is 15 then the total number of absences must have been 100*15= 1500. If the number of absences of 50 girls is 10, then the total number of absences must have been 50*10= 500. So there were a total of 1500+ 500= 2000 absences for all 150 students.

"Standard deviation" is a little more complicated. It is the square root of an average. Specifically, if the number of absences for the 100 boys was \(\displaystyle x_1\), \(\displaystyle x_2\), ..., \(\displaystyle x_{100}\), then first find the average of the squares of the difference of \(\displaystyle x_i\) and the mean, \(\displaystyle \mu\): \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{100}\sum (x_i- \mu)^2= \frac{1}{100}\left(\sum x_i^2- 2\sum \mu x_i+ \sum \mu^2\right)\).

Since \(\displaystyle \mu\) is constant, independent of I, we can take out of each sum: \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{100}\sum x_i^2- 2\mu \sum x_i+ \mu\sum 1\).

Of course, \(\displaystyle \mu\sum 1= 100\mu\) while \(\displaystyle \sum x_i= 100\mu\) so that becomes \(\displaystyle \sigma^2= \frac{1}{100}\sum x_i^2- \mu^2\) so that the standard deviation is \(\displaystyle \sigma= \sqrt{\frac{1}{100}\sum x_i^2- \mu^2}\). (That formula is probably in your textbook.)

If the standard deviation in the number of absences for 100 boy was 7 with mean 15, then \(\displaystyle 7= \sqrt{\frac{1}{100}\sum x_i^2- 225}\) so that \(\displaystyle 49= \frac{1}{100}\sum x_i^2- 225\) and \(\displaystyle \sum x_i^2= 100(49+ 225)= 27400\).

Similarly, for the 50 girls, the standard deviation in the number of absences was 6 with mean 10 so that \(\displaystyle 6= \sqrt{\frac{1}{50}\sum x_i^2- 100}\) so that \(\displaystyle 36= \frac{1}{50}\sum x_i^2- 100\) and \(\displaystyle \sum x_i^2= 50(36+ 100)= 6800.

So the "sum of squares" for both boys and girls is 27400+ 6800= 34200. Divide that by the total 100+ 50= 150 boys and girls. Subtract the mean that you found above, and take the square root.\)

Related to Statistics-Mean & Standard Deviation of Absences.

1. What is the mean of absences in statistics?

The mean, also known as the average, of absences in statistics is calculated by adding up all the values and dividing by the total number of values. It represents the central tendency or typical value of the data set.

2. How is the mean affected by extreme values in a data set?

The mean is highly affected by extreme values, also known as outliers, in a data set. These outliers can significantly increase or decrease the mean, making it a less reliable measure of central tendency.

3. What is the standard deviation of absences?

The standard deviation of absences is a measure of how much the data values deviate from the mean. It tells us how spread out the data is from the average value. A low standard deviation indicates that the data points are close to the mean, while a high standard deviation indicates that the data points are spread out.

4. How is the standard deviation calculated?

The standard deviation is calculated by finding the difference between each data point and the mean, squaring these differences, finding the average of the squared differences, and then taking the square root of this average.

5. Why is it important to calculate both the mean and standard deviation of absences?

Calculating both the mean and standard deviation of absences allows us to better understand the distribution of the data. The mean gives us the average value, while the standard deviation tells us how much the data deviates from this average. Together, they provide a more complete picture of the data and help us make more accurate interpretations and conclusions.