Why is steel a better heat conductor than wood?

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of heat conduction and its effects on the human body in relation to licking a cold steel post. The correct answer to the question is D because metal has a higher thermal conductivity compared to wood, which allows it to efficiently conduct heat away from the tongue and prevent it from getting stuck. In contrast, wood has a lower thermal conductivity, resulting in the heat remaining localized and preventing tongues from getting stuck.
xyz
Hi,there
I got a question from my sample test. That is:

"After passing 2B with flying colors, you are called one winter to rescue a physics 10 student who unknowingly puts his tongue against a cold steel post. As you peel his tongue off the post, you knowingly explain that, next time, he should instead lick a wooden post because:
a)steel has a higher specific heat than wood
b)wood is not as good a radiator of heat
c)steel has a higher specific gracity
d)steel is a better heat conductor
e)wood is not magnetic

I guess the key to the question is D. If I am right, why? If not, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
D is correct.

Metal is much better at conducting heat. Therefore if someone puts their tongue against cold metal, the metal will efficiently conduct heat away from tongue.

In wood it is different. Wood has low thermal conductivity, which means that the heat from the tongue will remain localised around the contact area, which would prevent any tongues getting stuck to it.

Yes, the correct answer is D) steel is a better heat conductor. This means that heat can transfer more easily through steel compared to wood. When the student's tongue comes into contact with the cold steel post, the heat from their tongue is quickly transferred to the post, causing their tongue to freeze and stick. However, if the student had licked a wooden post instead, the heat from their tongue would not transfer as easily to the post, allowing their tongue to stay warm and not stick. This is because wood is a poorer conductor of heat compared to steel. I hope this helps!

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from a hotter object to a cooler object, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

What is an example of a thermodynamics problem?

An example of a thermodynamics problem could be calculating the efficiency of a heat engine, which is the ratio of the work output to the heat input.

What are the three laws of thermodynamics?

The three laws of thermodynamics are the first law (conservation of energy), the second law (increase of entropy), and the third law (impossibility of reaching absolute zero).