Statistical Significance for 3 samples

In summary: For example, the Welch's ANOVA. So, if you want to find the statistical significance of 3 independent samples, yet the standard deviations of these 3 samples exceed those allowed by ANOVA, you can use the Welch's ANOVA.In summary, when trying to find the statistical significance for 3 independent samples, ANOVA is typically used. However, if the standard deviations of the samples are not equal, a generalization of the t-test, such as Welch's ANOVA, can be employed to still obtain accurate results. This is helpful in cases where the third assumption of ANOVA, equal standard deviations, is not met.
NSX
Hello all,

I need to find the statistical significance (95% confidence interval) for 3 independent samples. From what I understand, in order to find the statistical significance for more than 2 samples, ANOVA (ANalysis Of VAriance) is employed.

ANOVA fits in nicely with what I want to do, in particular, One-Way ANOVA, but I have a problem with the third assumption of ANOVA:
Equal standard deviations:
The standard deviations of the populations under consideration are equal. As a rule of thumb, this assumption is satisfied if the ratio of the largest to the smallest sample standard deviation is less than 2, called the rule of 2.
Introductory Statistics, Neil A. Weiss. 1997

I'm having a problem because some of my samples' ratios are as high as 2.981. Thus, I was wondering what to do if I want to find the statistical significance of 3 independent samples, yet the standard deviations of these 3 samples exceed those allowed by ANOVA? In addition, I do not think that my scenario is such that the standard deviations of the population under consideration are equal.

My sample sizes are 4, 3, and 3 respectively if that helps.

In summary, are there any tests or variations of ANOVA for statistical significance such that this third assumption is not required? i.e. standard deviation of the population does not have to be equal.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is a version of ANOVA that is a generalization of the t-test with unequal variances.

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your question and concerns about finding the statistical significance for 3 independent samples. You are correct in your understanding that ANOVA is typically used for comparing means of more than 2 samples. However, as you mentioned, one of the assumptions of ANOVA is that the standard deviations of the populations are equal. This assumption is important because it affects the accuracy and validity of the results.

If the standard deviations are not equal, there are alternative tests that can be used, such as Welch's ANOVA or the Kruskal-Wallis test. These tests do not require the assumption of equal standard deviations and are more appropriate when the data violates this assumption. Additionally, these tests can be used for small sample sizes, such as the ones you have (4, 3, and 3).

In summary, there are alternative tests that can be used for finding the statistical significance of 3 independent samples when the assumption of equal standard deviations is not met. I would recommend consulting with a statistician or conducting further research to determine which test would be most appropriate for your specific data and research question.

Best of luck with your analysis!

Related to Statistical Significance for 3 samples

1. What does "statistical significance" mean?

Statistical significance refers to the likelihood that the results of a study or experiment are not due to chance. It is a measure of how likely it is that the observed differences between groups or samples are real and not just a random occurrence.

2. How do you determine if there is a significant difference among three samples?

To determine if there is a significant difference among three samples, statistical tests such as ANOVA (analysis of variance) can be used. This test compares the means of the three samples and determines if there is a significant difference between them. Other tests, such as Tukey's post-hoc test, can be used to determine which specific groups differ from each other.

3. What is the importance of statistical significance in research?

Statistical significance is important in research because it helps us determine whether the results of a study are meaningful or simply due to chance. If a study's results are statistically significant, it means that the findings are likely to be true and can be generalized to a larger population.

4. Can a sample size affect statistical significance?

Yes, sample size can affect statistical significance. Generally, larger sample sizes will result in a higher likelihood of finding a statistically significant difference between groups. This is because a larger sample size reduces the margin of error and increases the power of the statistical test.

5. How can you interpret the p-value in a statistical significance test?

The p-value is the probability of obtaining the observed results (or more extreme results) if the null hypothesis is true. A p-value of less than 0.05 is typically considered statistically significant, meaning there is a less than 5% chance that the observed results are due to chance. However, it is important to also consider the effect size and the context of the study when interpreting the p-value.