Statistical Physics Textbook: F Mandl or Other Suggestions

In summary, the first part of the question is easy to answer: Depending on your attitude towards major international tax-evading companies vs. local stores you can buy it from Amazon or ask at a local book shop (who can probably order it for you if they don't have it). The second part of the question is harder to answer because different textbooks have different strengths. One textbook that is strong in math is Statistical Mechanics for Biomolecules by Zuckerman. However, I doubt an undergraduate course will follow Zuckerman's book at all, so if this is for that course, get Mandl's on Amazon!
Adeoye Temitope
Anyone know where i can get statistical physics by F Mandl? or can recommend any other textbook for a course in statistical mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first part to your question seems quite easy to answer: Depending on your attitude towards major international tax-evading companies vs. local stores you can buy it from Amazon or ask at a local book shop (who can probably order it for you if they don't have it).

I'm using Mandl's book for my course now, and it seems alright. If you want one based on math rather than 'intuition', I suggest Zuckerman's "Statistical Mechanics for Biomolecules" book - don't let the name fool you, only the last 4 chapters focus on biomolecules, the rest cover statistical mechanics very thoroughly using nothing more than probability theory and calculus as the basis, which I loved.
However, I doubt an undergrad course will follow Zuckerman's book at all, so if this is for that course, get Mandl's on Amazon!

I like Pathria and Beale, Statistical Mechanics.

ModestyKing said:
I'm using Mandl's book for my course now, and it seems alright. If you want one based on math rather than 'intuition', I suggest Zuckerman's "Statistical Mechanics for Biomolecules" book - don't let the name fool you, only the last 4 chapters focus on biomolecules, the rest cover statistical mechanics very thoroughly using nothing more than probability theory and calculus as the basis, which I loved.
However, I doubt an undergrad course will follow Zuckerman's book at all, so if this is for that course, get Mandl's on Amazon!
please how can i get the mandl book from you ? Please it's quite urgent, we're half way into the course already.

mpresic said:
I like Pathria and Beale, Statistical Mechanics.
Do you have the pdf? can you send? please.

i think you need to buy the textbook. I do not think it is available as a pdf without paying. try amazon

Related to Statistical Physics Textbook: F Mandl or Other Suggestions

1. What is statistical physics?

Statistical physics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to study the behavior of a large number of particles, such as atoms or molecules, and their interactions. It aims to understand the macroscopic properties of a system by analyzing the statistical behavior of its microscopic components.

2. Why is statistical physics important?

Statistical physics is important because it provides a theoretical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids. It is also used in a wide range of fields, including thermodynamics, chemistry, and biology.

3. What are some key concepts in statistical physics?

Some key concepts in statistical physics include entropy, probability distributions, partition functions, and the Boltzmann distribution. These concepts help to describe the statistical behavior of particles in a system and how they interact with each other.

4. Why is F Mandl's textbook recommended for studying statistical physics?

F Mandl's textbook is recommended for studying statistical physics because it provides a comprehensive and well-organized introduction to the subject. It covers a wide range of topics and includes many examples and exercises to help students understand the concepts and develop problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any other recommended textbooks for studying statistical physics?

Yes, there are many other recommended textbooks for studying statistical physics, including "Thermal Physics" by Charles Kittel and Herbert Kroemer, "Introduction to Modern Statistical Mechanics" by David Chandler, and "Statistical Mechanics" by R.K. Pathria. It is important to choose a textbook that best suits your learning style and level of understanding.