Statistical Physics: Problem 9 - A Spin Model

In summary: Basically, the heat capacity would approach zero as the temperature approached infinity, but the temperature could still be raised arbitrarily high if heat was supplied.
broegger
Hi.

I'm having trouble with this statistical physics thing again. I am given this exercise:

Problem 9 – A spin model

In a solid at temperature T the atoms have spin 1 so that the m quantum number takes on the values m = 0, ±1. Due to an interaction with the electrostatic field in the crystal, the states with m = ±1 have an energy which is higher by ε than the state with m = 0.

1. Find the average energy E(T) of the nuclei and the associated heat capacity [tex]C_V(T)[/tex]. Sketch both functions.

I'm really confused about some basic things here. The Boltzmann distribution states that:

[tex]p_r = \frac1{Z}\exp{(-E_r/kT)}.[/tex]​

This is the probability that the system will be in a particular state r with energy [tex]E_r[/tex], right? I don't know the number of states of the system or their energies - I know only the individual energies of the atoms.

I have nevertheless tried to determine the mean energy as a function of the temperature in various ways and I always end up with a function that approaches some constant value asymptotically at large temperatures. This would correspond to the heat capacity approaching zero as T tends to infinity (the heat capacity, [tex]C_V(T)[/tex], being the derivative of E(T)), which I don't think makes sense. I don't know if I'm making myself clear...

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi broegger,

In your case the spins don't interact with each other, so the energy states of the whole system can be labeled by the individual spin states. Because the spins are independent, the whole partition function factors into a piece for each spin, and it's just a few lines to obtain the full partition function. Also, the energy should approach an asymptotic value in the limit of high temperature. This becomes obvious when you think about the fact that the energy of the system is bounded from above.

hope this helps.

Yea, thanks. So if there is N atoms we would have [tex]Z_{tot} = Z^N[/tex]?

I think what was confusing me was the fact that I used to think of the heat capacity intuitively as "the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature by 1 degree", and so, the heat capacity approaching 0 seems to imply that you could raise the temperature indefinitely without supplying any energy. What does in fact happen if you keep supplying heat even though the system can't absorb any - there seems to be many possibilities?

Thanks for helping out.

Related to Statistical Physics: Problem 9 - A Spin Model

1. What is statistical physics?

Statistical physics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods and theories to study the behavior of large systems of particles, such as atoms and molecules. It aims to understand and predict the macroscopic properties of a system from the microscopic properties of its constituent particles.

2. What is a spin model?

A spin model is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a system of particles with intrinsic angular momentum, or "spin". In statistical physics, spin models are often used to study the magnetic properties of materials, such as ferromagnets.

3. What is Problem 9 in Statistical Physics?

Problem 9 is a specific problem in statistical physics that involves a spin model. It typically involves calculating the partition function and using it to determine the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as the heat capacity and magnetization.

4. How is statistical physics used in real-world applications?

Statistical physics has many practical applications, such as in material science, thermodynamics, and cosmology. It is used to study and understand the behavior of complex systems, such as phase transitions in materials and the evolution of the universe.

5. What are some key concepts in statistical physics?

Some key concepts in statistical physics include entropy, partition function, phase transitions, and the Boltzmann distribution. These concepts are essential for understanding the behavior of large systems and predicting their macroscopic properties.