Statistical oods and exisitance

In summary, the conversation discusses the odds of one's existence and the role of infinite time and the multiverse in increasing those odds. The concept of selection bias and the comparison to winning the lottery are mentioned. It is also noted that the question of existence is a philosophical one, but the odds of physical events are a matter of physics.
Gmanme
Hello,
Trying to make sense of the odds that I (or you) exist, from what I read people say its basically 0, which doesn't make sense to me since I am here after a short ~14 billion years of our universe existing.
Given IF the universe and time are infinite, my odds of existing again, no matter how small, over infinite time, as some conscious thing, should become very high?

thanks for help

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you mean apriori? Sure, the specific chain of events following from the Big Bang which led to your existence is only one possible history of many, and at the beginning of time it would have been safe to bet that you would not exist now.

But it is like the lottery; someone has to win (some (itself improbable) history or another has to occur). And thanks to selection bias you aren't going to observe any universe in which this magical chain of events did not occur.

And sure, if there is a multiverse then a being identical to yourself may one day spawn into being once more, given infinite time.

Gmanme said:
Given IF the universe and time are infinite, my odds of existing again, no matter how small, over infinite time, as some conscious thing, should become very high?

Nietzsche thought so, but that's philosophy. The odds of physical event are a question of Physics. If you want to assume an imaginary series of independent trials with a constant of probability of success, we could discuss a mathematical problem.

Related to Statistical oods and exisitance

1. What is the difference between statistical odds and existence?

Statistical odds refer to the likelihood of a certain event occurring based on the data and probability calculations. Existence, on the other hand, refers to the actual occurrence or presence of something.

2. How are statistical odds and existence used in scientific research?

Statistical odds and existence are used to analyze data and determine the significance of research findings. They help scientists make conclusions about the likelihood and validity of their results.

3. What is the importance of understanding statistical odds and existence in the field of science?

Understanding statistical odds and existence is crucial for conducting reliable and accurate research. It allows scientists to make data-driven decisions and draw meaningful conclusions from their experiments.

4. Can statistical odds and existence be manipulated?

Statistical odds and existence can be influenced by various factors such as sample size, bias, and random error. However, scientists use statistical methods and techniques to minimize these influences and ensure the validity of their findings.

5. How can statistical odds and existence help in decision making?

Statistical odds and existence provide a framework for making informed decisions based on evidence and data. By understanding the likelihood and significance of certain outcomes, scientists can make more accurate predictions and inform decision-making processes.