Statistical Mechanics box problem

In summary, the problem statement involves a cubic box with energy in the form of photons at equilibrium with the walls. The photon energies are determined by standing waves formed by the electromagnetic field in the box. The goal is to find the pressure of the gas using three equations and using the density of state function to calculate the partition function. The integral sum is used to find the partition function.
Ruddiger27
1. The problem Statement
A cubic box of volume V=L^3 contains energy in the form of photons in equilibrium with the walls at temperature T. The allowed photons energies are determined by the standing waves formed by the electromagnetic field in the box. The photon energies are (h/2pi)Wi = (h/2p)cKi, where Ki is the wavevector of the ith standing wave.
I have to find the pressure of the gas given:

2. Homework Equations

a: p(w)dw = (V/(c^3)(pi^2))w^2 dw

b: photons have no mass, so the chemical potenial is zero

c: int( x^3 / (exp^x -1 ) = (pi^4)/15

3. Attempt at Solution

I'm having a mental block here. The partition function of this is
Z= sum ( exp(-(e)/kt)) , where e is the energy of the photons. I put the density equation (1) as equal to the total energy E divided by the volume V.

I'm pretty sure this is wrong though. Do I have to find the density from the above equation (1), then use this to get the energy of an individual photon? How does density relate to energy?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the density of state function [p(w)], so the partition function will be found by evaluating an integral. The integral analogue of the sum is this:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} (\exp(-(e(w))/kt)*(\mbox{number of states btw w and w+dw})*(\mbox{average number of photons in the state of energy e(w)})dw[/tex]

I let you find what each blob is.

Thanks, got it now.

Related to Statistical Mechanics box problem

1. What is the "Statistical Mechanics box problem"?

The Statistical Mechanics box problem is a theoretical problem in statistical mechanics that involves calculating the probability distribution of particles in a closed box. The particles are assumed to be non-interacting and obeying classical mechanics.

2. How is the "Statistical Mechanics box problem" solved?

The problem is solved by using statistical mechanics principles and mathematical techniques such as the Boltzmann distribution and the partition function. These allow for the calculation of the probability of each possible state of the particles in the box.

3. What are the assumptions made in the "Statistical Mechanics box problem"?

The problem assumes that the particles in the box are non-interacting and obey classical mechanics. It also assumes that the box is closed and the particles are in thermal equilibrium with each other.

4. What is the significance of the "Statistical Mechanics box problem" in physics?

The problem is significant in understanding the behavior of macroscopic systems and how they relate to the microscopic properties of individual particles. It also has applications in various fields such as thermodynamics, statistical physics, and quantum mechanics.

5. Can the "Statistical Mechanics box problem" be applied to real-world systems?

While the problem is a theoretical one, its principles and techniques can be applied to real-world systems such as gases, liquids, and solids. However, the assumptions made in the problem may need to be modified to accurately reflect the behavior of these systems.