Statistical Analysis - Maximum Likelihood Fit

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of performing an 'Unbinned Maximum Likelihood Fit' on data from the DAMA experiment. The likelihood function is calculated using a poissonian probability distribution function, and the expected value λ is a periodic function. The final step involves minimizing the expression with respect to ω and t_0. Questions are raised about the measured value (k_i) and the use of an effective bin size of 1 day. Examples of this type of test are difficult to find.
knowlewj01

Homework Statement

I have a set of data from the DAMA experiment in which a detector attempted to measure collisions with 'WIMP's [Weakly Interacting Massive Particles] as a candidate for dark matter. The detector records the time in days of a collision event. After binning the data and performing a Chi sqared test to a sine function I need to perform an 'Unbinned Maximum Likelihood Fit'.

As I understand the maximum likelehood fit is calculated using the probability distribution function (which i think is poissonian) for each data point.
After this I'm at a loss. Could anyone perhaps decribe the steps involved or even point me in the direction of a good guide to this test?

Thanks

Homework Equations

Poissonian PDF:

[itex]p(k,\lambda) = \frac{\lambda^k e^{-\lambda}}{k!}[/itex]

k - observed # of events
λ - expected # of events

(However, Surely the data needs to be binned for a poissonian distribution to apply at all?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I don't think this was very clear. I have done some more reading:

My likelihood function L(λ) is poissonian:

[itex]f(k;\lambda)=\frac{e^{-\lambda}\lambda^k}{k!}[/itex]

Log Likelihood function is:

[itex]L(\lambda)=ln\left(\Pi_{i}^{n} f(k_i;\lambda)\right)[/itex]

Heres where i get a bit lost, I think my expected value λ should be a periodic function of the form:

[itex]\lambda_i(\omega,t_0;t_i)=cos(\omega[t_i-t_0])[/itex]

The remaining steps (i think) are to substitute λ into the likelihood function and then to minimize the expression:

[itex]y=-2L(\lambda)[/itex]

with respect to ω and t_0.

Does this sound right? Here's the expression i get:

[itex]L(\lambda)=-\Sigma_i^n cos(\omega[t_i - t_0]) + \Sigma_i^n k_i ln(cos(\omega[t_i - t_0]) - \Sigma_i^n ln(k_i !)[/itex]

if my data is unbinned, what is my measured value (ki)? I don't think the detector records more than one count in a day, so could i make my effective bin size 1 day? this would eliminate the final term (as 0! = 1! = 1, and ln(1) = 0) giving:

[itex]L(\lambda)=-\Sigma_i^n cos(\omega[t_i - t_0]) + \Sigma_i^n k_i ln(cos(\omega[t_i - t_0])[/itex]
(although this would disappear when minimizinag anyway)

after some rearranging and minimising with respect to omega i find:

[itex]\Sigma_i^n \frac{k_i}{cos(\omega[t_i-t_0])}=1[/itex]

which implies:

[itex]\Sigma_i^n cos(\omega[t_i-t_0]) = 1[/itex]

as k_i is only non zero when we observe a detection.

Does any of this look right? I've never done one of these before and examples of this type are difficult to find.

Thanks

Last edited:

Related to Statistical Analysis - Maximum Likelihood Fit

What is maximum likelihood fit in statistical analysis?

Maximum likelihood fit is a method used in statistical analysis to estimate the parameters of a probability distribution based on a set of observed data. It is based on the principle of selecting the values of the parameters that make the observed data most likely to occur.

How is maximum likelihood fit different from other methods of statistical analysis?

Maximum likelihood fit differs from other methods of statistical analysis, such as least squares or least absolute deviations, in that it takes into consideration the entire probability distribution of the data rather than just a single statistic (e.g. mean or median).

What are the assumptions made in maximum likelihood fit?

The main assumptions made in maximum likelihood fit are that the data follows a specific probability distribution and that the observations are independent and identically distributed. These assumptions are necessary for the method to accurately estimate the parameters of the distribution.

What are the advantages of using maximum likelihood fit?

Maximum likelihood fit has several advantages, including being a well-established and widely-used method in statistical analysis, providing estimates of the parameters with desirable statistical properties, and being able to handle a wide range of probability distributions.

Are there any limitations to using maximum likelihood fit?

Like any statistical method, maximum likelihood fit also has limitations. It may not be appropriate for small sample sizes, and the estimates of the parameters may be biased if the underlying assumptions are not met. Additionally, the method may not be able to handle complex or non-standard probability distributions.