Stationary waves and Resonance

In summary, a stationary wave is a pattern formed when two progressive waves of the same frequency move in opposite directions interfere. The name comes from the fact that the nodes and antinodes are always in the same place (as if they're standing still). The wavelength relates to the nodes and antinodes, and the condition for the waves being in step doesn't apply for resonance to occur.
Nemo's
I don't really understand the relationship between the wavelength of a stationary wave and the length of the air column. I also don't know what happens when the wavelength changes.
I would appreciate it if you could help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what is a stationary wave? What makes it a stationary wave and not another type of wave?

All I know is that a stationary wave is not really a wave but it's the pattern formed when two progressive waves of the same frequency moving in opposite directions interfere.
I also know that the name stationary comes from the fact that the nodes and antinodes are always in the same place (as if they're standing still). But I don't really know how the wavelength relates to the nodes and antinodes.

Nemo's said:
I also know that the name stationary comes from the fact that the nodes and antinodes are always in the same place (as if they're standing still). But I don't really know how the wavelength relates to the nodes and antinodes.

Take a standing wave with 10 nodes. What would happen if the wavelength of each wave were doubled? Would the position of the nodes change? Would the number of nodes change?

You can get a standing wave without a resonance. A standing wave will occur where there is a reflection at a boundary (say at one end of a string or at a wall) and if the reflected wave can dissipate itself. The standing wave will be there, irrespective of the wavelength involved, with a series of nodes and antinodes.
To get a resonance on a string, both ends need to be clamped (and there's an equivalent for pipes and Electromagnetic transmission lines). Then, the resonance will only occur when the reflections from both ends are in step and energy builds up on the string. This will happen when the length of the vibrating string (or whatever) is a whole number of half wavelengths - or in some resonators, it can be quarter wavelengths. Change the excitation frequency and the condition for the waves being in step doesn't apply and there is no resonance.
Losses and energy escaping will prevent the energy level from building up to an infinite level at resonance.

Here's a link to a video showing info on standing waves, reflections etc

hope it enlightens you :)

Dave

Drakkith said:
Take a standing wave with 10 nodes. What would happen if the wavelength of each wave were doubled? Would the position of the nodes change? Would the number of nodes change?
I think since the wavelengths were doubled the frequency must have halved. I've also seen in a video before that by increasing the frequency the number of nodes and antinodes increases as well. So I guess the number of nodes in our case will decrease. Maybe 5 nodes instead of 10? I guess the positions of the nodes won't change. Only some nodes will disappear and the rest will remain in the same positions.

sophiecentaur said:
Then, the resonance will only occur when the reflections from both ends are in step and energy builds up on the string. This will happen when the length of the vibrating string (or whatever) is a whole number of half wavelengths - or in some resonators, it can be quarter wavelengths. Change the excitation frequency and the condition for the waves being in step doesn't apply and there is no resonance.
So the length of the vibrating string (or the air column in case of a sound wave in a tube)must be a whole number of quarter or half wavelengths for a stationary wave or resonance to occur? Is that why the frequency must be adjusted to give the required wavelength that will produce the stationary wave?

davenn

Thanks a lot that's a very clear demonstration of wave behaviour :)

Nemo's said:
I think since the wavelengths were doubled the frequency must have halved. I've also seen in a video before that by increasing the frequency the number of nodes and antinodes increases as well. So I guess the number of nodes in our case will decrease. Maybe 5 nodes instead of 10? I guess the positions of the nodes won't change. Only some nodes will disappear and the rest will remain in the same positions.
There can be 3 node resonances and 5 node resonances, for example and none of the nodes would be in the same places. It's down to common factors in ratios.

sophiecentaur said:
There can be 3 node resonances and 5 node resonances, for example and none of the nodes would be in the same places. It's down to common factors in ratios.

Could you please explain more ?

Nemo's said:
Could you please explain more ?

For an ideal string (perfectly well defined ends. It will resonate at any frequency where there is a whole number of half wavelengths - hence you can have :
no nodes
1 node (one half wavelength)
2 nodes (two half wavelengths)
3 nodes (etc.)
4 nodes
5 nodes
etc.
as you increase the frequency of excitation f, 2f, 3f, 4f, 5f,... nf ...
When n is non prime, there will be two (or more) lower frequency resonances, mf and lf, where lm=n that will share some antinode positions but for n1 and n2 where they are both prime, they cannot share node positions. I'm not stating anything very deep here - it just makes sense.

Real strings and particularly real air columns and other resonators don't resonate at exact harmonics of a fundamental. The pukka word for the resonances of real resonators is 'Overtones'. ( I moan a lot about the misuse of the word 'harmonic' in this respect but no one takes any notice. Sob sob)

sophiecentaur
Thank you so much. That really helped a lot. :smile:
( and now that i know the difference I won't confuse overtones with harmonics )

Related to Stationary waves and Resonance

1. What is the difference between a stationary wave and a traveling wave?

A stationary wave, also known as a standing wave, is a wave that appears to be stationary in space, with no net movement of energy. This is due to the interference of two waves moving in opposite directions. In contrast, a traveling wave is a wave that moves through a medium, carrying energy from one point to another.

2. How are stationary waves formed?

Stationary waves are formed when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude, traveling in opposite directions, interfere with each other. This results in nodes and antinodes, where the amplitude of the wave is zero and maximum, respectively.

3. What is resonance and how does it relate to stationary waves?

Resonance is the tendency of a system to vibrate with increased amplitude when the frequency of its oscillations matches the natural frequency of the system. In stationary waves, resonance occurs when the frequency of the wave matches the natural frequency of the medium, resulting in an increase in the amplitude of the wave.

4. What are some real-life applications of stationary waves and resonance?

Stationary waves and resonance have many practical applications. One example is in musical instruments, where stationary waves are used to create specific pitches and notes. They are also used in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasounds and MRI scans. In addition, resonance is utilized in bridges and buildings to prevent them from collapsing due to vibrations caused by wind or earthquakes.

5. Can stationary waves occur in all types of waves?

Yes, stationary waves can occur in all types of waves including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. As long as two waves with the same frequency and amplitude interfere with each other, stationary waves can be formed.