Stationary Forces in a Car Collision

In summary, the collision between the two vehicles resulted in a 1300 N impact force. It is impossible to calculate the force without an analysis of the length (or timescale) of the acceleration of the woman in the car.
freelancer799
I'm trying to find out the force on a collision that happened to me recently, nothing serious but the lady went away in the ambulance for what I believe wasn't that much force exerted on her at all.

Both vehicles were at a stationary position about 2.5 meters away from each other. The second vehicle (mine) having a curb weight of 1200 kg travels to a peak velocity of about 2.23 m/s and strikes the first car on the bottom part of the bumper on the left side when that vehicle weighs in at about 2600 kg.

Now I understand that the car probably took most of the force but I want to figure out what the max force was and compare it to a real world example for insurance to investigate. I figured I would use an impact force formula like:

F= m*(vf-vi)/(tf-ti)

But wasn't sure if that was the proper approach. With that I was able to get about 1300 N of force

Forgot to mention it took about 2 seconds for me to hit her, maybe not even

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is impossible to calculate the force without an analysis of the length (or timescale) of the acceleration of the woman in the car.

As an example: You can fall down 1m, and won't experience significant forces if you use your legs to decelerate within ~50cm. If you drop a pen, on the other hand, it will stop within <1mm, and experience accelerations of the order of 1000g (1000 times the gravitational acceleration of earth).

Newer air bag trigger systems are essentially accelerometers.

That said, perhaps the doctor and the patient will know better than the formula.

It is not at all unreasonable for someone with a preexisting neck / back injury to be driving a vehicle, the only "stipulation" I can think of is that you can operate the vehicle properly...from a physical perspective of course :wink:

Related to Stationary Forces in a Car Collision

1. What is a stationary force in a car collision?

A stationary force in a car collision refers to the force that is exerted on an object when it is not in motion. In a car collision, this force is experienced by the occupants of the car when the car suddenly comes to a stop.

2. How does a stationary force affect the human body in a car collision?

A stationary force can cause serious injuries to the human body in a car collision. It can result in whiplash, bruising, broken bones, and more. The severity of the injuries depends on factors such as the speed of the car, the direction of impact, and the use of safety restraints.

3. Can a stationary force be avoided in a car collision?

In most cases, it is not possible to completely avoid a stationary force in a car collision. However, the use of safety restraints, such as seat belts and airbags, can help to reduce the impact of the force on the human body.

4. How is a stationary force measured in a car collision?

A stationary force is measured in units of Newtons (N). It can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its acceleration. In a car collision, the force experienced by the occupants is dependent on the weight of the car and the speed at which it comes to a stop.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the stationary force in a car collision?

Yes, besides the speed and weight of the car, other factors that can affect the stationary force in a car collision include the type and size of the vehicles involved, the condition of the road, and the use of safety features such as crumple zones.