Stationary circuit: can current pass THROUGH a battery?

In summary: Sure, unless the current is going through something else first. In that case, the current would go through the battery, the resistor, and then out the other side.
libelec
This is a piece of circuit:

10dh2ko.jpg

I2 = 2A, I1 = 4A, R = 10[tex]\Omega[/tex], VB - VC = 12V. Find Iy (that goes over Ry), Rx, Ry and VA - VD

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find Rx pretty easily, using that VB - VC = 12V, then, since V= IR, VB - 10 V - I2*Rx - VC = 0.

I also find, using the same fact, that Iy*Ry = VB - VC = 12V (going through the lower branch that joins B and C).

But I can't see how I can get Iy. I know that in B (node), there's I1 and Iy AND another current (be it I3) that should go towards the 10V battery next to B. I also believe that I2 = I3 + I4, where I4 is current generated by the 10 V battery.

Now, I know the last sentence must have something wrong with it, because in the exercise the first thing they ask to find is Iy, so it should come out fast. My problem is that I have been having trouble with the currents and their directions (how to predict this).

My question is: can part of the current I1 go through the battery and aid forming I2? What am I missing?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Current DOES pass through a battery in a circuit (always). How else would it be possible for the battery to complete the circuit?

Yeah, stupid me. Then is this sentence OK: I know that in B (node), there's I1 and Iy AND another current (be it I3) that should go towards the 10V battery next to B. I also believe that I2 = I3 + I4, where I4 is current generated by the 10 V battery.
? What do I have to do to find Iy?

I don't understand how your definition of I4 is distinct from I3 (or I2, for that matter). As near as I can tell, the branch between nodes B and C has a 10 V battery and a resistor Rx in it. These two are in series, which means the current through them must be the same (i.e. it is I2).

Therefore, using KCL for node B:

I1 = I2 + Iy

Why I2? Doesn't I2 move towards C?

An how about the 15V battery? Doesn't it give some current to the lower BC branch too?

libelec said:
This is a piece of circuit:

10dh2ko.jpg

My question is: can part of the current I1 go through the battery and aid forming I2? What am I missing?

Thanks

You miss Kirchhoff''s Current Law.

The electric current is flowing charge- it can not accumulate or lost, like water in a pipe: the amount of water flowing in at one end of a pipe should flow out at the other end, the electric current, too, is the same along a branch of circuit, between two nodal points.

"The principle of conservation of electric charge implies that:

At any node (junction) in an electrical circuit, the sum of currents flowing into that node is equal to the sum of currents flowing out of that node. "

Applying this law at node B, I1=I2+Iy.

ehild

libelec said:
Why I2? Doesn't I2 move towards C?

Exactly. I2 is the current flowing between node B and node C across the branch with the 10 V battery and the resistor Rx in it.

libelec said:
An how about the 15V battery? Doesn't it give some current to the lower BC branch too?

Maybe. Probably. What is your point though? Iy IS the current flowing through the branch with the resistor Ry in it, by definition. Sure, many different things could be contributing to it.

But why do you say that there's current I2 in B, if I2 goes towards C after the 10V battery?

Besides, shouldn't I2 go towards the negative borne of the 10V battery? I mean, isn't current born in the positive borne and goes all the way towards the negative borne?

libelec said:
But why do you say that there's current I2 in B, if I2 goes towards C after the 10V battery?

I'm not saying that there is a current I2 "in" B, because that doesn't make any sense. I'm saying that I2 is flowing out of node B. As explained by ehild, in accordance with conservation of charge, Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) states that the current flowing out of node B must be equal to the current flowing into it.

current into node B = current out of node B

Since the current flowing into node B is I1 and the currents flowing out of node B are I2 and Iy, it must be true that:

I1 = I2 + Iy

libelec said:
Besides, shouldn't I2 go towards the negative borne of the 10V battery? I mean, isn't current born in the positive borne and goes all the way towards the negative borne?

I've never come across this word "borne", but I am assuming from the context that you mean "terminal." The point is that IN SPITE OF the presence of the 10 V battery, the potential at node B is still higher than the potential at node C (you know this because the information is given in the problem). THAT's why the current is flowing from left to right across that branch. Yes, the current is flowing in the opposite direction compared to the direction the 10 V battery wants to drive it.

Sorry, I thought "borne" was an Spanization of an English word... Thanks, now I understand why I2 goes towards C. And I finally realize what you mean with that it doesn't matter if there's a current generated by the 10V battery and stuff.

Thanks.

Related to Stationary circuit: can current pass THROUGH a battery?

1. Can current pass through a battery in a stationary circuit?

Yes, current can pass through a battery in a stationary circuit. A battery is an integral part of a circuit and provides the energy necessary for current to flow through the circuit.

2. How does current pass through a battery in a stationary circuit?

In a stationary circuit, current passes through a battery in a closed loop. The battery provides a voltage difference that causes the flow of electrons through the circuit, creating a current.

3. What role does a battery play in a stationary circuit?

A battery serves as the energy source in a stationary circuit. It provides the voltage difference necessary for current to flow through the circuit, powering devices such as lights, motors, and electronics.

4. Can current pass through a battery without a complete circuit?

No, current cannot pass through a battery without a complete circuit. In order for a battery to generate a current, it needs a complete closed loop for the electrons to flow through. Otherwise, the battery would be unable to produce a voltage difference.

5. What happens if the current in a stationary circuit is too high?

If the current in a stationary circuit is too high, it can cause the battery to overheat and potentially damage the circuit components. It is important to use the correct size and type of battery for a circuit to prevent excessive current flow.