Stating logarithm in variables

In summary: I removed the log by raising 10 to the powers ##a## and ##b##, then multiplied the result$$10^a10^b=15=15\frac{1000}{1000}\Leftrightarrow\frac{10^3}{15}10^{a+b}=1000\Leftrightarrow\sqrt{\frac{10^{a+b+3}}{15}}=\sqrt{1000}$$now we just use ##\log##, i guess.
songoku
Homework Statement
Given that ##a=\log 3## and ##b=\log 5##, state ##\log \sqrt{1000}## in terms of u and/or v
Relevant Equations
Logarithm properties
Have tried to do that but getting no result.

I know ##\log \sqrt{1000} = \frac {3}{2}## . I just want to know whether it is possible to state ##\log \sqrt{1000}## in terms of u and/or v without using "weird stuff", like ##\log \sqrt{1000} = \frac{3}{2} + u - u ## (this is what I did...)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: Given that ##a=\log 3## and ##b=\log 5##, state ##\log \sqrt{1000}## in terms of u and/or v
Relevant Equations:: Logarithm properties

Have tried to do that but getting no result.

I know ##\log \sqrt{1000} = \frac {3}{2}## . I just want to know whether it is possible to state ##\log \sqrt{1000}## in terms of u and/or v without using "weird stuff", like ##\log \sqrt{1000} = \frac{3}{2} + u - u ## (this is what I did...)

Thanks
Should this have been "state ##\log \sqrt{1000}## in terms of a and/or b"? If not, I have no idea what this problem is asking.

Likes songoku
Mark44 said:
Should this have been "state log⁡1000 in terms of a and/or b"? If not, I have no idea what this problem is asking.
Ah I am sorry, my bad. I got mixed up with another question I did.

Yes, the question should be: "state ##\log⁡ \sqrt{1000}## in terms of a and/or b"

What I did was trying something and ended up with: ##\frac{3}{2} +a - a##

songoku said:
Ah I am sorry, my bad. I got mixed up with another question I did.

Yes, the question should be: "state ##\log⁡ \sqrt{1000}## in terms of a and/or b"

What I did was trying something and ended up with: ##\frac{3}{2} +a - a##
I don't think that's what they were looking for.

10 = 2 * 5, so ##\log 10 = \log(2 * 5) = \log 2 + \log 5##
Can you work with that?

Likes songoku
Mark44 said:
I don't think that's what they were looking for.

10 = 2 * 5, so ##\log 10 = \log(2 * 5) = \log 2 + \log 5##
Can you work with that?
I can try

##\log \sqrt{1000} = \frac{3}{2} \log 10 = \frac{3}{2} (\log 5 + \log 2) = \frac{3}{2} = (b + \log 2)##

How to relate ##\log 2## to ##a## or ##b## ?

Thanks

songoku said:
I can try

##\log \sqrt{1000} = \frac{3}{2} \log 10 = \frac{3}{2} (\log 5 + \log 2) = \frac{3}{2} = (b + \log 2)##
That last part should be ##\frac{3}{2} (b + \log 2)##, not ##\frac{3}{2} = (b + \log 2)##
songoku said:
How to relate ##\log 2## to ##a## or ##b## ?
2 = 10/5, so ##\log 2 = \log 10 - \log 5##

Likes songoku
Mark44 said:
That last part should be ##\frac{3}{2} (b + \log 2)##, not ##\frac{3}{2} = (b + \log 2)##
Yes, sorry that's typo

2 = 10/5, so ##\log 2 = \log 10 - \log 5##
So:

##\log \sqrt{1000} = \frac{3}{2} \log 10 = \frac{3}{2} (\log 5 + \log 2) = \frac{3}{2} (b + \log 2)##

##=\frac{3}{2} (b + \log 10 - \log 5)##

##=\frac{3}{2} (b + 1 - b)##

##=\frac{3}{2} \rightarrow ## no ##a## or ##b## ?

Thanks

Just checking - are you sure log here is log base 10, and not natural log?

I also feel like they must have meant to say a=log(2).

The whole question as you've stated it is a bit weird.

Likes songoku and FactChecker
Office_Shredder said:
Just checking - are you sure log here is log base 10, and not natural log?

I also feel like they must have meant to say a=log(2).

The whole question as you've stated it is a bit weird.
Yes the base of the logarithm is 10

a is log (3) because it is also used in other part of the question

Maybe the question is wrong

Thank you very much for all the help Mark44 and Office_Shredder

That would make a bit more sense, if there were eight questions all using the same a and b, and one of them happened to not need them to expressed as a fraction.

Likes songoku
Office_Shredder said:
That would make a bit more sense, if there were eight questions all using the same a and b, and one of them happened to not need them to expressed as a fraction.
Unfortunately, 3/2 is stated as wrong answer by the system 😅

Hmm. Have you tried 1.5?

I really don't know what they are looking for, sorry.

Likes songoku
I'm not sure if this is the goal but ...
I removed the log by raising 10 to the powers ##a## and ##b##, then multiplied the result$$10^a10^b=15=15\frac{1000}{1000}\Leftrightarrow\frac{10^3}{15}10^{a+b}=1000\Leftrightarrow\sqrt{\frac{10^{a+b+3}}{15}}=\sqrt{1000}$$now we just use ##\log##, i guess.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
Yes the base of the logarithm is 10

a is log (3) because it is also used in other part of the question
It sounds like there is more to the problem statement than the OP indicates. The other parts might clarify it.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
So:
##\log \sqrt{1000} = \frac{3}{2} \log 10 = \frac{3}{2} (\log 5 + \log 2) = \frac{3}{2} (b + \log 2)##
##=\frac{3}{2} (b + \log 10 - \log 5)##
##=\frac{3}{2} (b + 1 - b)##
##=\frac{3}{2} \rightarrow ## no ##a## or ##b## ?
Perhaps ##\frac 32 = \frac {15}{10} = \frac{3\cdot 5}{10}## can help.

Likes songoku
@songoku ,

Combine the idea by @archaic in Post #13: ##\quad a=\log_{10}(3) \Leftrightarrow 10^a=3## etc.

with the suggestion by @vela in Post #15.

Likes songoku and archaic
The teacher admitted that the question is wrong.

Sorry everyone for all the trouble

songoku said:
The teacher admitted that the question is wrong.

Sorry everyone for all the trouble
However, the answer you arrived at can be expressed in terms of a and b.

##\dfrac 3 2 = 10^{(a+b-1)} ##

Added in Edit:
The above was corrected per post #19.

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller and songoku
SammyS said:
However, the answer you arrived at can be expressed in terms of a and b.

##\dfrac 2 3 = 10^{(a+b-1)} ##
Yes I tried that but the correct answer came out as: ##\frac{3}{2} (a+b)## , that's why the teacher canceled the question

And I think there is typo, ##\frac{2}{3}## should be ##\frac{3}{2}##

Thank you SammyS

Last edited:
Likes SammyS
I get lost in long threads like this, not even sure if you have solved, but sole factors of 1000 are powers of 5 and 2. You are essentially given 5 and 2 to play with, while the problem involves 3 and it looks like you have difficulty in discovering a relation between these numbers. :smile:

Related to Stating logarithm in variables

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the number of times a given number, called the base, must be multiplied by itself to reach another number. For example, the logarithm of 100 with a base of 10 is 2, because 10 multiplied by itself twice equals 100.

How do you state a logarithm in variables?

To state a logarithm in variables, you would write it in the form logb(x) = y, where b is the base, x is the number being evaluated, and y is the result or solution of the logarithm. For example, log2(8) = 3, because 2 multiplied by itself three times equals 8.

What is the difference between natural logarithm and common logarithm?

The natural logarithm, denoted as ln(x), has a base of e, which is an irrational number approximately equal to 2.71828. The common logarithm, denoted as log(x), has a base of 10. In other words, the natural logarithm calculates the exponent needed to produce a given number using e as the base, while the common logarithm uses 10 as the base.

What is the purpose of using logarithms in scientific calculations?

Logarithms are useful in scientific calculations because they can simplify complex equations involving exponents and make them easier to solve. They also help to convert between different units of measurement, such as decibels for sound and pH for acidity, which are logarithmic scales.

How do you solve logarithmic equations?

To solve logarithmic equations, you can use the properties of logarithms, such as the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule. You can also use the inverse property, which states that logb(x) = y is equivalent to by = x. Additionally, you can use a calculator or table of logarithms to find the solution.