Statics problem solving reactions

In summary, James is asking for help with solving a statics problem and has provided the answers from his book but is unsure of how to obtain them. He has attempted to apply equilibrium equations but is still confused. He asks for assistance in writing out the equations for points A-E.
jamesd2008
Hi, can anyone show the correct method of how to solve a problem like this. Got the answers from my book but have no idea how they get them?

Thanks
James

Attachments

• img014.jpg
    img014.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 442
Physics news on Phys.org
jamesd2008 said:
Hi, can anyone show the correct method of how to solve a problem like this. Got the answers from my book but have no idea how they get them?

Thanks
James

What is the general method for solving statics problems like these? Since the mechanism is static, what can you say about the sum of the forces and moments on the various parts? Does that help you to start to draw some things and write some equations?

Yes I know how to apply the equilibrium equations and have the answer for the vertical and horizontal reactions and point A as, 8 kips and 2 kips. But when i try to apply this I can't get the answer. Confused

James

Sorry If you think this is a homework question, but is just a problem out of an old statics book i bought and wanted to check if I could still solve these questions. Evidently not

jamesd2008 said:
Yes I know how to apply the equilibrium equations and have the answer for the vertical and horizontal reactions and point A as, 8 kips and 2 kips. But when i try to apply this I can't get the answer. Confused

James

Could you please write out those equilibrium equations for us for points A-E? Show us what you have so far, and that should help us to help you.

Related to Statics problem solving reactions

What is statics problem solving?

Statics problem solving is a method used in engineering and physics to analyze and solve problems related to forces and structures that are at rest or in equilibrium.

What types of reactions are involved in statics problem solving?

The types of reactions involved in statics problem solving include support reactions, which are forces exerted by the supports on the structure, and external reactions, which are forces applied to the structure from outside sources.

How do I determine the unknown reactions in a statics problem?

To determine the unknown reactions in a statics problem, you must first draw a free body diagram of the structure and apply the equations of equilibrium. This involves setting up equations for the sum of all forces in the x and y directions, as well as the sum of all moments around a chosen point.

What are some common mistakes in solving statics problems?

Some common mistakes in solving statics problems include forgetting to include all external forces, using incorrect sign conventions for forces or moments, and not considering all unknown reactions in the equations of equilibrium.

Can statics problem solving be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, statics problem solving is commonly used in engineering and construction to design and analyze structures such as buildings, bridges, and machines. It can also be used in physics to understand the behavior of objects at rest or in equilibrium.