Statics/Moments - Force perpendicular to slope?

In summary, to determine the resultant moment at support points A and B due to the forces acting on the truss, calculate the x and y components for any forces at an angle. The 10kN force at point B will be multiplied by zero because it is on the same x-axis, but be sure to include the y-component in the calculations. The angle used to calculate the components should be 45 degrees.
AndrewZzz
Determine the resultant moment at support points A and B due to the forces acting on the truss as shown.

Fx = F(cos∅), Fy = F(sin∅), M = F(distance)

Point A -88.98kN*m
Point B ?

I have no problem calculating most of the forces, but I'm lost when it comes to knowing what to do with the forces that are perpendicular to the sloped surfaces. Do I calculate X and Y components for them? Does it automatically turn into an X or Y component? When trying to calculate the moment on point B, is the 10kN multiplied by zero because it's on the same x-axis as the point, or is the 10kN a Y component? Some insight would be hugely appreciated.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 930
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, for any forces that are at an angle, generate the x and y components of the force. And good catch, the 10kN force will be multiplied by zero because it is on the same x-axis as point B (when calculating the reaction at B). However, only the x-component of that force is neglected in the calculations, be sure to include the y-component.

I figured it would still require the X and Y components! Which angle would I use to calculate those?

The angle should be 45degrees so the x-component is 10cos(45) and the y-component is 10sin(45). At least I hope it is haha.

I understand your confusion and I'm happy to provide some insight to help you solve this problem. In order to determine the resultant moment at points A and B, we need to consider the forces acting on the truss and their distances from these points.

First, let's review the definitions of statics and moments. Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of forces and their effects on objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. Moments, also known as torque, are the twisting forces that cause an object to rotate. In this case, we are interested in calculating the resultant moment at points A and B, which is the combined effect of all the forces acting on the truss.

Now, let's focus on the forces that are perpendicular to the sloped surfaces. These forces can be resolved into their x and y components, just like any other force. The x component will act along the horizontal direction, while the y component will act along the vertical direction. This is important to note because the moment at a point is calculated by multiplying the force by its distance from that point and the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force. Therefore, we need to consider both the x and y components of these forces when calculating the resultant moment at points A and B.

For point B, the 10kN force will have both x and y components. The x component will be equal to 10kN, while the y component will be equal to 10kN multiplied by the sine of the angle of the slope (∅). This is because the force is acting at an angle to the horizontal plane, and we need to consider its vertical component when calculating the moment at point B.

In order to calculate the moment at point B, we will need to use the formula M = F x d, where F is the force and d is the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force. In this case, the perpendicular distance will be equal to the length of the truss (6m) multiplied by the cosine of the angle of the slope (∅). This will give us the perpendicular distance from point B to the line of action of the 10kN force. We can then multiply this by the x component of the force (10kN) to get the moment at point B.

I hope this explanation helps you understand how to calculate the resultant moment at points A and

Related to Statics/Moments - Force perpendicular to slope?

1. What is the definition of a moment in statics?

A moment in statics is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause rotation around a specific point or axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point or axis to the line of action of the force.

2. How is the direction of a moment determined?

The direction of a moment is determined by the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the force, the curl of your fingers will give you the direction of the moment around the point or axis.

3. What is the difference between a moment and a force?

A force is a vector quantity that represents the push or pull on an object, while a moment is a vector quantity that represents the rotational effect of a force. Forces can cause linear motion, while moments cause rotational motion.

4. How do you calculate the moment of a force perpendicular to a slope?

The moment of a force perpendicular to a slope can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force, and then multiplying by the sine of the angle between the force and the slope.

5. Can a force perpendicular to a slope cause an object to slide down the slope?

Yes, a force perpendicular to a slope can cause an object to slide down the slope if the force is greater than the frictional force between the object and the slope. This can be calculated by comparing the magnitude of the force to the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces.