Statics - Mechanics of Materials, check my work please?

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with a homework problem involving determining the diameter of a pin in a frame given a specific force and allowable shear stress. The conversation also includes a discussion about constraints and the correct approach to solving the problem. The final solution is still uncertain due to unclear constraints and missing information.
papasmurf
Could someone please check this for me? I attached a rough free body diagram of the whole frame. Any help is appreciated.

Homework Statement

The member ACF of the frame loaded as shown is connected to member BCD by means of a smooth peg and slot C with force P = 930 N at point D. Determine the diameter of pin C in mm if the allowable shear stress is 150 MPa.

Homework Equations

ƩM=0
ƩFY=0
ƩFX=0
τ=F/A
A=(pi/4)*d2

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking ƩME=0, I have FY(4.8 m) - 930 N(3.6 m), FY=697.5 N.
Next, looking at member ACF, take ƩMA=0, where I have 697.5 N*(4.8 m) - C*cos(θ)*(2.4 m) - C*sin(θ)*(2.7 m), where θ=tan-1(5.4/4.8)=48.36°. Solving for C, I get C=926.79 N.
Shear is given by τ=F/A where F is the force acting on the pin C and A is the cross-sectional area of pin C. Solving for diameter I get 3.62 mm.

Attachments

• fbdme420.gif
    fbdme420.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 913
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
papasmurf said:
Could someone please check this for me? I attached a rough free body diagram of the whole frame. Any help is appreciated.

Homework Statement

The member ACF of the frame loaded as shown is connected to member BCD by means of a smooth peg and slot C with force P = 930 N at point D. Determine the diameter of pin C in mm if the allowable shear stress is 150 MPa.

Homework Equations

ƩM=0
ƩFY=0
ƩFX=0
τ=F/A
A=(pi/4)*d2

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking ƩME=0, I have FY(4.8 m) - 930 N(3.6 m), FY=697.5 N.
This is OK.
Next, looking at member ACF, take ƩMA=0, where I have 697.5 N*(4.8 m) - C*cos(θ)*(2.4 m) - C*sin(θ)*(2.7 m), where θ=tan-1(5.4/4.8)=48.36°. Solving for C, I get C=926.79 N.
You are assuming that there is no x component of the force at F. Is there? Try looking at member DCB instead, to solve for C directly.

papasmurf: We do not yet know the answer with certainty, because you did not show boundary conditions (constraints) on your free-body diagram (FBD). Also, you did not state the static coefficient of friction (COF), mu. Therefore, the given problem is not fully defined yet.

If there is a horizontal roller at point F, and if mu = 0, then everything you did is correct, except for your pin diameter.

Last edited:
Sorry for no clarifying, both "legs" if you will are connected by pins so there are vertical and horizontal force components. Taking that into account I was able to figure out the pin length to be about 4.2 mm. Thanks guys.

papasmurf: That is doubtful. Because you did not yet draw clear constraint symbols on your FBD, your given question is not yet defined. We probably cannot help you until you draw clear constraint symbols on your FBD. If you currently do not realize there is a difference between, e.g., a pin and a roller, then you currently might be missing a fundamental concept. Also, "legs, if you will" is unclear. When you talk about point locations, specify the point label, such as point A, point E, etc.

mu = 0 is conceivable (although we cannot be certain if you do not state the given problem). However, with no clearly-shown constraints in the FBD, this question is anyone's guess. Also, your current pin diameter looks wrong, as far as I can tell. Keep trying.

Last edited:
You have correctly noted (perhaps by chance?) that because of the slot, no axial force can be transferred to ACF, and thus the force on the pin at C must be perpendicular to ACF, and hence Cy = Ccostheta. If you draw a FBD of DCB, you can solve for Cy, and then C, and then the area of the bolt, and then it's diameter. I also do not get your answer.

Related to Statics - Mechanics of Materials, check my work please?

1. What is the difference between statics and dynamics in mechanics of materials?

Statics deals with the study of bodies at rest or in equilibrium, while dynamics deals with the study of bodies in motion. In mechanics of materials, statics is concerned with the forces acting on a body and the resulting stress and strain, while dynamics involves the study of the motion of a body under the influence of forces.

2. How do I determine the forces and stresses in a structure?

To determine the forces and stresses in a structure, you can use the principles of equilibrium and the equations of mechanics of materials. This involves analyzing the external forces acting on the structure and the internal forces created by the structure itself.

3. What is the importance of stress and strain in mechanics of materials?

Stress and strain are important concepts in mechanics of materials as they help us understand how materials behave under different loading conditions. Stress is the internal force per unit area acting on a material, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape of the material. By studying stress and strain, we can design structures that can withstand different types of loading.

4. How do I check my calculations in mechanics of materials?

To check your calculations in mechanics of materials, you can use the principles of equilibrium and the equations of mechanics of materials to see if the forces and stresses are in balance. You can also use the concept of compatibility, which ensures that the deformations of different parts of a structure are compatible with each other.

5. What are the different types of loading that can affect a structure?

There are different types of loading that can affect a structure, including axial (tension and compression), bending, shear, and torsion. Each type of loading produces different stresses and strains in a structure, and it is important to consider all of them when designing a structure to ensure its stability and safety.