Statics Help: How to Find Support Reactions for Structural Problems

In summary, the conversation is about finding the support reactions for a structure with three unknown components at joints A and E. The problem can be solved by writing down Newton's laws and evaluating moments about joint A. The correct moment equation should be the sum of moments about A, which equals (-1)(a)P_1 + (-1)(3a)P_2 + (1)(4a)E_y.
RadiationX
Please click on the image to make it larger.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2355/staticsqn5.th.jpg
I understand the problem here, what I don't see is how to find the support reactions. Since at each joint we have more than two unknowns I have to find the support reactions. I have the answer to the problem. Could someone tell me how to find the support reactions? It seems like I need to take the moments about G and or F to get the support reactions at the pin at A and the rocker at E. Is this true?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that you have three unknown [rectangular] components, two at A and one at E.

For the structure as a whole, did you write down Newton's laws (for statics) [tex]\vec F_{net}=\vec 0 [/tex] and [tex]\vec \tau_{net}=\vec 0 [/tex], which yields three scalar equations [for this planar problem].. and hence three linear equations in three unknowns? By choosing to evaluate moments about A, you can simplify your system.

Right that is what I assumed! However, I'm kind of working backwards throught this text. So I'm not finding the correct moment equations.

What are your explicit equations? (in terms of P1, P2, a, e)

At pin A we have [tex] A_x and A_y[/tex] at the rocker E we have [tex] E_y[/tex].

So shouldn't the moments be:

[tex] M_A = 20kn-1.5A_y[/tex]

I'm confused now! I know this is so easy when i finally see it

Shouldn't it be "sum of the moments about A"
[tex] M_A= (-1)(a)P_1+(-1)(3a)P_2+(1)(4a)E_y[/tex] ?

Yes that is correct. I see now my mistake(s)

Related to Statics Help: How to Find Support Reactions for Structural Problems

1. What is the purpose of support reactions in statics?

Support reactions are used to determine the forces and moments acting on a structure or object in a static equilibrium. These reactions are essential for analyzing the stability and structural integrity of various systems.

2. How do you calculate support reactions?

Support reactions are calculated using the principles of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces and moments acting on a system must equal zero. This involves setting up and solving equations based on the geometry and known forces acting on the structure.

3. What are the types of support reactions?

The types of support reactions include fixed, roller, and pin. A fixed support prevents translation and rotation in all directions, a roller support allows translation in one direction and rotation in one direction, and a pin support allows rotation in all directions.

4. How do support reactions affect the stability of a structure?

The magnitude and direction of support reactions determine the stability of a structure. If the support reactions are not sufficient to counteract the external forces acting on the structure, the structure will be unstable and may collapse. It is important to ensure that the support reactions are able to bear the weight and forces of the structure.

5. Can support reactions change during the analysis of a structure?

Yes, support reactions can change during the analysis of a structure if there are any changes in the external forces acting on the structure or if the structure undergoes any deformations. It is important to recalculate the support reactions to accurately analyze the stability of the structure at different stages.