Statics: forces on a beam and reactions

In summary, the given problem involves a horizontal beam with pins at certain points and forces acting on it at specific locations. The beam is in equilibrium, but there is a discrepancy in the calculations due to the positioning of the pins and the forces. The problem may be intentionally unsolvable due to the limitations of the supports and forces acting on the beam.
laekoth

Homework Statement

a horizontal beam has a pin at 0m(point A), a 90N (-90i) force at .2m(point B), a pin at .4m(point C) and a 180N (-127.3i + -127.3j)at (45 degrees) force at .6m(point D). the pin at point A is attached to a vertical wall with rollers, the pin at point C can't move. The beam is in equilibrium.

Homework Equations

sum of forces in the x direction = 0
Moment about any point = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

The part of the problem that stumps is is that the y component of the force at point D is inline with two reaction forces at point A and point C and I don't see how to solve for each one alone.

Also, if the Moment of A = 0, then -90(.2) + Rbx(.4) + -sin45(180)(.6) = 0 and forces in x = 0 so 90 + sin45(180) - Rbx = 0 yet these both give different answers, so I assume I have a concept error here somewhere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
laekoth said:

Homework Statement

a horizontal beam has a pin at 0m(point A), a 90N (-90i) force at .2m(point B), a pin at .4m(point C) and a 180N (-127.3i + -127.3j)at (45 degrees) force at .6m(point D). the pin at point A is attached to a vertical wall with rollers, the pin at point C can't move. The beam is in equilibrium.
I assume that the pin at A is attached to the top of the wall with rollers, or else it would be unstable.

Homework Equations

sum of forces in the Y direction = 0
Moment about any point = 0
yes...

The Attempt at a Solution

The part of the problem that stumps is is that the y component of the force at point D is inline with two reaction forces at point A and point C and I don't see how to solve for each one alone.
use your 3rd relevant equation
Also, if the Moment of A = 0, then -90(.2) + Rbx(.4) + -sin45(180)(.6) = 0
This is not right, if you are summing moments about A, then you want to look at moments due to vertical forces, and you don't mean Rbx, you mean Rcy; and get rid of that -90(.2) term
and forces in x = 0 so 90 + sin45(180) - Rbx = 0 yet these both give different answers, so I assume I have a concept error here somewhere.
You mean Rcx here.

I had renamed the points to explain the question on here, and copied over my work incorrectly.

To clarify I attempted to draw the problem:
beam.jpg

From how I understand the problem these should be correct:

Moment at A: -F1(.2) + Rcy(.4) + -F2y(.6) = -90(.2) + Rcy(.4) + -sin45(180)(.6) = 0
I could use any point to compute the moment at, I just chose A. I don't see how i can get rid of the -90(.2) term, can you explain?

forces in y: -F1 + -F2y + Rcy = -90 + -sin45(180) + Rcy = 0
forces in x: Ra + Rcx - F2x = Rax + Rcx - cos45(180) = 0

Just looking at the problem, it doesn't look like it *can* be in equilibrium. The problem is basic, and I haven't had a difficulties with similar problems.

Last edited:
In the OP, you noted that the force at B was -90i N. That is a horizontal 90 N force acting left. You have shown it as -90j N, as a vertical force acting down. Which one is it?

Then as I tried to explain, the beam cannot be in equilibrium as drawn and described, because the roller at A cannot take forces in the vertical direction, and thus, the beam wil rotate. The support at A must be on top of the wall, with no Ax reaction due to slippage in the x direction.

The drawing is correct, it's -90j.

If i could scan the picture, i would. I guess I'm not crazy thinking the beam can't be in equilibrium, it's good to have a second opinion on that.

Edit: professor confirmed the problem was intentionally unsolvable.

Last edited:

Related to Statics: forces on a beam and reactions

1. What is statics and why is it important in engineering?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of forces and their effects on stationary objects. It is important in engineering because it helps us understand how forces act on structures and how to design stable and safe structures that can withstand those forces.

2. How are forces on a beam calculated?

Forces on a beam are calculated by using the principles of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces acting on an object must equal zero. This means that the sum of the forces in the vertical and horizontal directions must be equal to zero, and the sum of the moments (torques) acting on the beam must also be equal to zero.

3. What are the different types of forces that can act on a beam?

The different types of forces that can act on a beam include: point loads (concentrated forces), distributed loads (uniformly distributed forces), moments (torques), and support reactions (forces exerted by the supports on the beam).

4. How do you calculate the reaction forces at the supports of a beam?

The reaction forces at the supports of a beam can be calculated by using the principles of equilibrium. The sum of the forces in the vertical and horizontal directions must be equal to zero, and the sum of the moments (torques) must also be equal to zero. By setting up equations and solving for the unknown reaction forces, we can determine the magnitude and direction of the support reactions.

5. What are the common methods for solving statics problems involving forces on a beam?

The common methods for solving statics problems involving forces on a beam include: the method of joints, the method of sections, and the method of virtual work. These methods involve breaking down the beam into smaller sections and applying the principles of equilibrium to solve for unknown forces and reactions.