Statics cantilever beam at angle with load

In summary: Fy). I hope this helps with your problem. In summary, to design the bolted joint for this application, we need to consider the weight of the bundle of pipes, the reaction forces from the other end of the bundle, and the effects of the 15 degree angle. We can use trigonometric relationships to determine the horizontal and vertical forces acting on the cantilever beam and then design the bolted joint accordingly. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out.
dreeve

Homework Statement

Design a bolted joint to attach a suitable American Standard Steel channel at a 15 degree angle to store the bundle of nominal 8 inch diameter x 30 feet long seamless wrought steel pipe. An identical member 20 feet away supports the other end of the bundle. The bundles may vary from center by 1.5 feet. The W18X55 vertical members and the channels are made from ASTM A36 steel.

Homework Equations

I know how to determine the bolts once I figure out the force. I am having trouble determining the effect the 15 degree angle has. The pipes way a total of ~6000lb. To figure out the resulting force on the cantilever beam Fy do I just use

Fy = 6000lb (cos) 15 = 5795.55 lb
Fx = 6000lb (sin) 15 = 1552.91 lb

AGAIN I don't need any help on determing what bolts to use, I just need help finguring out the resultant force acting on the cantilever beam with the angle, I can't find any example problems like this.

I really appreciate any help guys, this is a take home quiz due in about a week, My teacher did a horrible job of teaching statics.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 4S pictures 599.jpg
    4S pictures 599.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,006
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Designing a bolted joint for a specific application can be a complex task, but I will try to provide some guidance on how to approach this problem.

First, let's break down the problem into smaller parts. We have a cantilever beam (the W18X55 vertical member) and a channel that needs to be attached at a 15 degree angle to support the bundle of pipes. The other end of the bundle is supported by an identical member 20 feet away.

To determine the forces acting on the cantilever beam, we need to consider the weight of the bundle of pipes and the reaction forces from the other end of the bundle.

The weight of the bundle can be calculated as follows:

Weight = (weight per foot) x (length of pipes)

Weight per foot = (pi/4) x (diameter)^2 x (density of steel)

Plugging in the given values, we get:

Weight per foot = (3.14/4) x (8 inches)^2 x (490 lbs/ft^3) = 153.94 lbs/ft

Weight of bundle = (153.94 lbs/ft) x (30 ft) = 4618.2 lbs

Next, we need to consider the reaction forces from the other end of the bundle. Since the other end is supported by an identical member, we can assume that the reaction forces will be equal and opposite to the weight of the bundle.

Now, let's consider the effect of the 15 degree angle. The angle will cause a component of the force to act in the horizontal direction (Fx) and a component to act in the vertical direction (Fy).

To determine these forces, we can use trigonometric relationships.

Fx = Weight of bundle x cos(15 degrees) = 4618.2 lbs x cos(15 degrees) = 4446.6 lbs

Fy = Weight of bundle x sin(15 degrees) = 4618.2 lbs x sin(15 degrees) = 1202.9 lbs

These forces will act at the point where the channel attaches to the cantilever beam.

To design the bolted joint, we need to consider the shear and tension forces acting on the bolts. The shear force will be equal to the horizontal component (Fx) and the tension force will be equal to the vertical

Related to Statics cantilever beam at angle with load

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a type of structural element that is supported at only one end, while the other end is free to move. It is commonly used in construction and engineering projects to support loads and create stable structures.

2. How does a cantilever beam at an angle with load differ from a straight cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam at an angle with load has an additional force acting on it, which creates a bending moment. This bending moment causes the beam to bend and deflect, which must be taken into account when analyzing the beam's stability and strength.

3. How do you calculate the bending moment of a cantilever beam at an angle with load?

The bending moment of a cantilever beam at an angle with load can be calculated using the formula M = F * L * cos(theta), where M is the bending moment, F is the applied force, L is the length of the beam, and theta is the angle between the beam and the applied force.

4. What are the main factors that affect the stability of a cantilever beam at an angle with load?

The stability of a cantilever beam at an angle with load is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the length and material of the beam, and the angle between the beam and the applied force. Additionally, the support structure and any external factors, such as wind or vibrations, can also impact the beam's stability.

5. How can you ensure the safety and structural integrity of a cantilever beam at an angle with load?

To ensure the safety and structural integrity of a cantilever beam at an angle with load, it is important to carefully consider and calculate all the forces and factors that may affect the beam. This includes choosing the appropriate materials and dimensions for the beam, properly supporting the beam, and taking into account any external factors that may impact its stability. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the beam to ensure its continued safety and stability.