Statics- beams internal effects i dont get it

In summary: V(x,y) - dM/dx In summary, the homework statement states that there are 4<x<8 sections in the example, and between 0 and 4, the loading is linearly varying; between 4 and 8, the load is uniform; and between 0 and 4, the load varies from 0 to 100lb/ft. Between 4 and 8, the load includes the reaction at the left support, and you determine shears and moments in accordance with the translational (sum of fy =0) and rotational (sum of moments = 0) equilibrium equations. Between 0 and 4
Fat Ryan

Homework Statement

this is a picture of an example from the book. I am going off of it to solve a problem that will be on my test tomorrow. i can figure out how to calculate the shear force and moment of each section (though i don't fully understand it), but I am just not getting how they decide on these sections. sorry for the crappy photo, all i have it my camera phone.

the sections are labeled like 0<x<4, 4<x<8 etc. but when they draw the 4<x<8 section in the example they include the 0<x<4 section...? why? and how come x changes with every section. that's confusing the hell outta me. oh and on the first section diagram to the left, how did they come up with (x/4)*100? and 12.5x^2?

thanx

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2323/staticsko8.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Between 0 and 4, the loading is linearly varying; betweem 4 and 8, it is uniform; no distributed load the rest of the way. The sections are chosen to reflect these different loading variations. Between 0 and 4, the load varies fron 0 to 100lb/ft over the 4 foot length; thus, by taking a free body diagram of this section that includes the left support and cuts through the beam at a distance x from the left, the total loading is the area of the triangular distribution which has a length x, and a height of 100x/4 (from the basic geometry of slopes), thus the area is 1/2 the base times height = 12.5x^2, that's the total of the distributed load at that point. Now when you look at the section between 4 and 8, your free body diagram includes the known reaction at the left support, and you determine shears and moments in accordance with the translational (sum of fy =0) and rotational (sum of moments = 0) equilibrium equations.

thanx, i understand that part, its just the whole x thing that confuses me. i know I am not explaining myself very well, sorry. my dad just explained to me where 100x/4 and 12.5x^2 come from so i got that part now. you know what, screw it. i think i know it enough to be able to solve the problem. i think i just need help with the final part of calculating the max moment and its location x from the left.

my dad pointed out that if you take the derivative of the moment from the 4<x<8 section and set it equal to 0, you get the answer for the distance x from the left...that being 4.47ft. and if you take 4.47ft and plug it back into the original moment equation, thatll give you the maximum moment. what i don't get it how are you supposed to know to use the second section's moment? intuitively it makes sense, but what about on a more difficult problem where its not quite so obvious? how do you choose which moment to use? or is there some way to use them all to get the answer?

Fat Ryan said:
thanx, i understand that part, its just the whole x thing that confuses me. i know I am not explaining myself very well, sorry. my dad just explained to me where 100x/4 and 12.5x^2 come from so i got that part now. you know what, screw it. i think i know it enough to be able to solve the problem. i think i just need help with the final part of calculating the max moment and its location x from the left.

my dad pointed out that if you take the derivative of the moment from the 4<x<8 section and set it equal to 0, you get the answer for the distance x from the left...that being 4.47ft. and if you take 4.47ft and plug it back into the original moment equation, thatll give you the maximum moment. what i don't get it how are you supposed to know to use the second section's moment? intuitively it makes sense, but what about on a more difficult problem where its not quite so obvious? how do you choose which moment to use? or is there some way to use them all to get the answer?
Points of maximum moments occur at points where there is no shear (i.e., where dM/dx = V = 0, as your dad pointed out). I general, there may be more than one location where the moments are at a 'maximum' in a particular section, so it is wise to check all sections where the shear in that section is zero (draw a good shear diagram, and note where the shear crosses the x-axis (V=0), then draw a moment diagram). A 'maximum' moment in one section may be greater than a 'maximum' moment in another.

ok thanx. well i def failed the test today. i don't think i did too bad on the beam problem, but i did HORRIBLE on the centroid problem :( i think my prof picked the hardest possible centroid problem and then made it even harder.

Fat Ryan said:
ok thanx. well i def failed the test today. i don't think i did too bad on the beam problem, but i did HORRIBLE on the centroid problem :( i think my prof picked the hardest possible centroid problem and then made it even harder.
Yes, i'll have to agree that your prof is not giving you the easy ones... If you can handle the shear and moment diagram for the example you presented, you can handle 'em all...

the one on the test was a little easier, but i know i screwed up at the points where the sections end. i am still confused about that and i think i ended up leaving an entire force out, lol. i was also rushed because i wasted too much time on the centroid problem. but i will see tomorrow what i got. just got to worry about the final now :(

btw, thank you for the help :)

Related to Statics- beams internal effects i dont get it

1. What is statics and how does it relate to beams and internal effects?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of forces and their effects on stationary objects. Beams are a common type of structure that is often analyzed in statics, and internal effects refer to the forces and stresses that occur within the beam itself as a result of external loads.

2. What are the internal effects that can occur in a beam?

There are several internal effects that can occur in a beam, including bending, shear, and deflection. Bending refers to the curvature of the beam caused by external loads, while shear refers to the internal forces that act parallel to the cross section of the beam. Deflection is the displacement of the beam from its original position due to external loads.

3. How are these internal effects calculated in statics?

In statics, the internal effects in a beam are calculated using equations and principles such as equilibrium, moment of inertia, and shear and bending moment diagrams. These calculations help determine the magnitude and distribution of internal forces and stresses within the beam.

4. Why is understanding internal effects important in engineering and construction?

Understanding internal effects in beams is crucial in engineering and construction because it ensures the safety and structural integrity of a building or structure. By analyzing and designing beams to withstand expected internal forces, engineers can prevent structural failures and ensure the longevity of a structure.

5. How can I improve my understanding of statics and internal effects in beams?

To improve your understanding of statics and internal effects in beams, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic mechanics and mathematics. It can also be helpful to practice solving problems and analyzing real-life examples of beams in different situations. Additionally, seeking guidance from a knowledgeable engineer or taking a course in statics can also aid in improving understanding.