Statically indeterminate fixed end beam problem

In summary, the individual is struggling with performing stress analysis on a component they designed and ran FEA on. Their supervisor has asked for hand calculations to back up the FEA, but they are having difficulty. The component is a double fixed end beam with two symmetrically acting moments and is made of 6061-T6 material. The advice given is to treat the problem as an uncoupled torsion/flexure problem and obtain shear and bending stresses to form a complete stress tensor, which can then be used to calculate the von Mises stress.
segdop
Im having difficulties performing stress analysis on a component i designed for a project. I've ran FEA in solidworks giving me the Von Mises stress and the displacement due to the load. My supervisor has asked me to back up the fea with hand calculations but I am have a hard time. The part is a double fixed end beam with two moments acting in the middle symmetrically. Attached you will find a schematic of the part. The material used is 6061-T6. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• concept_2.jpg
    concept_2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 563
Engineering news on Phys.org
The simplest thing to do is treat it as an uncoupled torsion/flexure problem.

Treat as pure torsion - similar example:
http://utsv.net/mechanics-of-materials/5-statically-indeterminate-structure-torsion
Obtain the shear stresses (e.x. maximum shear stress) (1)

Treat as pure bending - similar example:
http://utsv.net/mechanics-of-materials/12-statically-indeterminate-structure-bending
Obtain the shear and bending stresses (e.x. maximum bending stress) (2)

(1) and (2) give you the stresses that you need to form the complete stress tensor, say, at the top surface of the beam. You can then obtain the von Mises stress from that stress tensor.

Hope that helps

Thank you very much for your response and time. I will attempt this method

Related to Statically indeterminate fixed end beam problem

1. What is a statically indeterminate fixed end beam problem?

A statically indeterminate fixed end beam problem is a type of structural engineering problem where the number of unknown reactions and forces in a beam exceeds the number of available equations to solve for them. This means that the beam is not fully constrained and additional information or assumptions are needed to solve for the unknowns.

2. How is a statically indeterminate fixed end beam problem different from a statically determinate problem?

In a statically determinate problem, the number of unknown reactions and forces can be solved for using the available equations of equilibrium. In a statically indeterminate fixed end beam problem, there are more unknowns than equations, so additional information or assumptions are needed to solve for the unknowns.

3. What are some common assumptions made when solving a statically indeterminate fixed end beam problem?

Some common assumptions made include assuming that the beam is rigid, that there are no internal hinges or supports, and that the beam is loaded symmetrically. These assumptions help to simplify the problem and reduce the number of unknowns.

4. How are statically indeterminate fixed end beam problems solved?

There are several methods for solving these types of problems, including the slope-deflection method, the moment distribution method, and the virtual work method. Each method involves making additional assumptions and using equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown reactions and forces.

5. Why are statically indeterminate fixed end beam problems important in structural engineering?

Statically indeterminate fixed end beam problems are important because they represent real-life scenarios where structures may not be fully constrained. By understanding and solving these problems, engineers can design more efficient and stable structures that can withstand various loading conditions.