Static weight transfer of car with two wheels elevated

In summary, the test is flawed because so much of the weight is on the tires contacting the pavement. This does not make a significant difference on flat ground. The results would be the same on the Subaru wagon undergoing the test.
Ahmad Ramadan
I am trying to figure out what the weight transfer, CoG transfer, and actual weight for each wheel is, for the vehicles (specifically the Subaru wagon at 2:00 minutes) undergoing this test:

My friend argues the test is flawed because so much of the weight is on the tires contacting the pavement. I don't think it makes enough of a difference. The results would be the same on flat ground in my opinion.

I am curious as to how much weight is actually transferred? If the test was conducted on flat ground, would the AWD Subaru fare any better?

I have drawn a picture of the problem. Using numbers from Subaru automobiles for dimensions and CoG. If you have a moment, I would really appreciate your solving of this problem.

http://[ATTACH=full]199720[/ATTACH]

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• lb3ROsK.jpg
    lb3ROsK.jpg
    509 bytes · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The video link doesn't work on my iPad - might try later on another device - so I'm uncertain what the question is. I assume you want to determine the normal force on each tire from the ground.
In the drawing, the tires should be tilted at the same angle as the vehicle, and the weight should act vertically through the mass centre.
Just treat the lowest points of the tires and CoG as the three points of a rigid isosceles triangle. Figure out the horizontal distances between them when tilted, and take moments about one of the contact points. That will tell you the normal force at the other.

Likes Doug Huffman
haruspex said:
The video link doesn't work on my iPad - might try later on another device - so I'm uncertain what the question is. I assume you want to determine the normal force on each tire from the ground.
In the drawing, the tires should be tilted at the same angle as the vehicle, and the weight should act vertically through the mass centre.
Just treat the lowest points of the tires and CoG as the three points of a rigid isosceles triangle. Figure out the horizontal distances between them when tilted, and take moments about one of the contact points. That will tell you the normal force at the other.

Essentially, yes, I would like to determine the normal force on each tire. If you had a scale underneath each tire, what would it read? Thanks for your reply!

Ahmad Ramadan said:
Essentially, yes, I would like to determine the normal force on each tire. If you had a scale underneath each tire, what would it read? Thanks for your reply!

PF won't do the work for you, see the forum rules for more info.
Follow Haruspex method below and you will find the normal force.

haruspex said:

billy_joule said:
PF won't do the work for you, see the forum rules for more info.
Follow Haruspex method below and you will find the normal force.
My apologies. Thanks for your help.

If you have any trouble there are many people here who can help.

My immediate thought is look at the spring compression as it's proportional to applied force. Ie if the wheels are different distances to the arches they are supporting a different mass.
You can find the spring rate online and calc. The difference in mass. compare it to the theoretical result found by haruspex method.

Some basic geometry to find the perpendicular distance from the point at which you are taking the moment at to the force applied on the tire. Then take sum of the moments either at the left tire or right tire depending on which lever arm you chose. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

What is static weight transfer in a car?

Static weight transfer refers to the redistribution of weight between the wheels of a car when one or more wheels are elevated or have less contact with the ground. This can affect the handling and stability of a car.

How does static weight transfer affect a car's performance?

Static weight transfer can affect a car's performance in several ways. When a wheel is lifted, the weight on that wheel is reduced, which can result in less traction and stability. This can also cause the car to have a tendency to oversteer or understeer, depending on which wheel is lifted.

What factors can contribute to static weight transfer in a car?

There are several factors that can contribute to static weight transfer in a car, such as acceleration, braking, and turning. For example, during hard acceleration, weight is shifted to the rear wheels, while hard braking can shift weight to the front wheels.

How can static weight transfer be measured or calculated?

Static weight transfer can be measured using a scale under each wheel or by calculating the change in weight distribution using the car's weight, wheelbase, and center of gravity. There are also computer programs and simulators that can calculate static weight transfer for specific vehicles.

How can static weight transfer be managed or improved in a car?

Static weight transfer can be managed or improved by adjusting the suspension, such as by adding stiffer springs or anti-roll bars. Proper weight distribution and balance can also help reduce the effects of static weight transfer. Additionally, driving techniques and techniques such as weight transfer and cornering can also help improve handling and stability.