Static universe, spacetime and the stress-energy tensor

In summary: Riemann tensorNo. That would be "no curvature at all". A spacetime with no timelike geodesic deviation is still curved. In fact it is a maximally curved spacetime. It is just that the spacelike curvature is zero.One more question. As you mentioned the perfect fluid, is it the general consequence that in this case the SET is described by its trace only?No. It is a special case, not a general consequence.
timmdeeg
Gold Member
Einstein's static universe obeys ##\rho = 2\lambda##. So, attractive and repelling gravity cancel each other.

I'm curious about the spacetime in this universe. Because the scale factor is constant, it seems that neighboring co-moving test particles don't show relative acceleration, thus no geodesic deviation. So, from this I would expect the spacetime to be flat. On the other side, as this universe contains energy, the spacetime can't be flat like Minkowski-spacetime.

Obviously I am missing something and I will appreciate any help.

Perhaps it is important to look at the 4x4 matrix of the stress-energy tensor describing the static universe. Unfortunately I couldn't find any reference. It seems correct to say that all matter particles are at rest to each other. If so, does it mean that the non-diagonal elements, representing shear stress and momentum flux would vanish?

Space news on Phys.org
timmdeeg said:
Because the scale factor is constant, it seems that neighboring co-moving test particles don't show relative acceleration, thus no geodesic deviation.

Correct.

timmdeeg said:
from this I would expect the spacetime to be flat.

No, because the geodesic deviation of comoving test particles is not the only possible kind of geodesic deviation. For the spacetime to be flat, all possible kinds of geodesic deviation must be zero. They're not in the Einstein static universe.

PeterDonis said:
No, because the geodesic deviation of comoving test particles is not the only possible kind of geodesic deviation. For the spacetime to be flat, all possible kinds of geodesic deviation must be zero. They're not in the Einstein static universe.
So there is geodesic deviation of non-comoving particles, though all matter particles are at rest (hard to grasp).
Does this mean, that the mere possibility of geodesic deviation creates sources of gravity? Then I would expect them to be components of the stress-energy tensor. If true, could you kindly give me a little more background regarding shear stress and momentum flux resp. in this special case?

timmdeeg said:
So there is geodesic deviation of non-comoving particles

No, I didn't say that. Remember that there can be geodesic deviation along spacelike geodesics as well as timelike geodesics. In the particular case of the Einstein static universe, there is no timelike geodesic deviation, but there is spacelike geodesic deviation. In other words, freely falling objects don't experience relative acceleration, but if, for example, you try to make triangles from spacelike geodesics, the sum of their angles won't be 180 degrees; it will be larger, because of the spacelike geodesic deviation. (It's basically a 3-d version of what happens with great circles on the surface of the Earth.)

timmdeeg said:
I would expect them to be components of the stress-energy tensor.

Yes, the SET of the Einstein static universe is not zero. It is the SET of a perfect fluid with ##p = - \frac{1}{3} \rho##, i.e., the pressure is negative and its magnitude is 1/3 of the magnitude of the energy density. (If you work out the details, this is because you have ##p_{\Lambda} = - \rho_{\Lambda}## for the cosmological constant and ##p_M = 0## for the matter. Combining those with the fact that ##\rho_M = 2 \rho_{\Lambda}## gives the net balance of ##p = - \frac{1}{3} \rho## for the SET as a whole.) This means that ##\rho + 3 p = 0## (note that I'm using units where ##G = c = 1##), so the Friedmann equations give ##a## constant.

PeterDonis said:
No, I didn't say that. Remember that there can be geodesic deviation along spacelike geodesics as well as timelike geodesics. In the particular case of the Einstein static universe, there is no timelike geodesic deviation, but there is spacelike geodesic deviation. In other words, freely falling objects don't experience relative acceleration, but if, for example, you try to make triangles from spacelike geodesics, the sum of their angles won't be 180 degrees;
Would it be fair to say that the spacetime of the Einstein static universe - though being spatially curved - is flat? I don't mean flat in the Minkowskian sense, but flat with regard to the absence of timelike geodesic deviation. Or is the strict requirement to have 'flat spacetime' the vanishing of the Riemann tensor, or perhaps something else?

Thanks for explaining the SET of the static universe. One more question. As you mentioned the perfect fluid, is it the general consequence that in this case the SET is described by its trace only?

timmdeeg said:
Would it be fair to say that the spacetime of the Einstein static universe - though being spatially curved - is flat?

... Einstein original FE solution has no spatial curvature, hence flat in general; or mathematically approximately flat. Since the observable universe is very close to homogeneous and isotropic.

"Einstein was interested in finding static (
adot.gif
= 0) solutions, both due to his hope that general relativity would embody Mach's principle that matter determines inertia, and simply to account for the astronomical data as they were understood at the (1)
eq1.gif
A static universe with a positive energy density is compatible with (5)
eq5.gif
if the spatial curvature is positive (k = +1) and the density is appropriately tuned; however, (6)
eq6.gif
implies that
addot.gif
will never vanish in such a spacetime if the pressure p is also nonnegative (which is true for most forms of matter, and certainly for ordinary sources such as stars and gas). Einstein therefore proposed a modification of his equations, to
eq7.gif

where
Lambda.gif
is a new free parameter, the cosmological constant. Indeed, the left-hand side of
eq7.gif
is the most general local, coordinate-invariant, divergenceless, symmetric, two-index tensor we can construct solely from the metric and its first and second derivatives. With this modification, the Friedmann equations become

eq8.gif
...and
eq9.gif

These equations admit a static solution with positive spatial curvature and all the parameters [PLAIN]http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/GIFS/rho2.gif, p, and http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/GIFS/Lambda.gif nonnegative..

http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Carroll2/Carroll1_2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
timmdeeg said:
Would it be fair to say that the spacetime of the Einstein static universe - though being spatially curved - is flat?

No. See below.

timmdeeg said:
I don't mean flat in the Minkowskian sense, but flat with regard to the absence of timelike geodesic deviation.

That isn't what "flat" means. AFAIK there isn't a brief term for a spacetime that has no timelike geodesic deviation.

timmdeeg said:
is the strict requirement to have 'flat spacetime' the vanishing of the Riemann tensor

Yes.

timmdeeg said:
As you mentioned the perfect fluid, is it the general consequence that in this case the SET is described by its trace only?

No. A perfect fluid has an SET of the form ##diag(\rho, p, p, p)## in the rest frame of the fluid. Knowing the trace alone does not contain all of the information in the tensor.

julcab12 said:
Einstein original FE solution has no spatial curvature

Yes, it does. Spatial slices of the Einstein static universe, in the standard FRW chart, are positively curved.

PeterDonis said:
Yes, it does. Spatial slices of the Einstein static universe, in the standard FRW chart, are positively curved.
... He once tried the old flat Minkowski spacetime assuming no gravitational effects -- zero spatial curvature for simplicity until Ed and tensor came. or am i misunderstanding something.

Yes, positively curved (closed).

Thanks for clarifying flat spacetime.
PeterDonis said:
No. A perfect fluid has an SET of the form ##diag(\rho, p, p, p)## in the rest frame of the fluid. Knowing the trace alone does not contain all of the information in the tensor.
Thanks.

May I ask a little more regarding timelike geodesics in the Einstein static universe?

Freely falling comoving particles: as their proper distance is constant over time, their geodesics should be parallel.

Freely falling particles, initially moving parallel with respect to the fluid:
Does your statement "freely falling objects don't experience relative acceleration" also include this case?
Would their geodesics converge linearly like great circles on Earth towards the northern pole?

To the second case: I wonder If I misunderstand John C. Baez in http://[URL ']The Meaning of Einstein's Equation[/URL]. He says on page 13/14 that in the static universe the volume of a ball of freely falling particles shrinks accelerated, if the ball is moving relative to the fluid, because of increasing energy in the rest frame of the ball.
Now, provided this is correct and means relative acceleration, would then freely falling objects, which are not comoving experience tidal forces in contrast to comoving objects?
And further, is it this kind of information, which isn't contained in the trace of the SET?

Thank you for your patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
julcab12 said:
He once tried the old flat Minkowski spacetime assuming no gravitational effects

That gives a static universe, yes--one completely empty of matter and energy. AFAIK Einstein never considered this as a valid solution for our actual universe.

timmdeeg said:
Freely falling comoving particles: as their proper distance is constant over time, their geodesics should be parallel.

Yes.

timmdeeg said:
Freely falling particles, initially moving parallel with respect to the fluid:
Does your statement "freely falling objects don't experience relative acceleration" also include this case?

Baez' calculation, which you link to, appears to say that the answer is no; and that calculation looks correct to me, as far as it goes. I think I was too hasty in saying that there is no "timelike geodesic deviation" in the Einstein static universe. What is true is that, for the Einstein static universe, there are no nonzero components of the Riemann curvature tensor with ##t## as one of the indexes. So any geodesic deviation along timelike geodesics can only happen if those geodesics have components in directions other than the ##t## direction, i.e., if the freely falling particles are moving in comoving coordinates.

timmdeeg said:
Would their geodesics converge linearly like great circles on Earth towards the northern pole?

That's what Baez' calculation shows, yes.

timmdeeg said:
would then freely falling objects, which are not comoving experience tidal forces in contrast to comoving objects?

Yes, that's what Baez' calculation indicates. The shrinkage of the non-comoving ball of test particles is due to tidal gravity.

timmdeeg said:
is it this kind of information, which isn't contained in the trace of the SET?

Yes.

Likes timmdeeg
PeterDonis, you have helped me a lot to improve my understanding. Thank you very much.

timmdeeg said:
PeterDonis, you have helped me a lot to improve my understanding. Thank you very much.

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Related to Static universe, spacetime and the stress-energy tensor

1. What is a static universe?

A static universe is a theoretical model in which the universe is not expanding or contracting, but rather remains in a fixed and unchanging state. This model was proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

2. How does spacetime play a role in a static universe?

In a static universe, spacetime is seen as a four-dimensional continuum, with three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. This continuum is considered to be static, meaning that it does not change over time.

3. What is the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of matter and energy in spacetime. It describes the energy and momentum density of matter and radiation, as well as the gravitational field.

4. How does the stress-energy tensor relate to the curvature of spacetime?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, the distribution of matter and energy in the universe causes spacetime to curve. The stress-energy tensor is used to calculate this curvature, which in turn determines the motion of objects in the universe.

5. Is the concept of a static universe still accepted by scientists?

No, the concept of a static universe has been largely rejected by scientists in favor of the expanding universe model. Observational evidence, such as the redshift of distant galaxies, supports the idea that the universe is expanding. However, the idea of a static universe continues to be a topic of debate and research in the scientific community.