Static friction vs. Normal force on an incline

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the coefficient of friction, normal force, and force of static friction. It is determined that the normal force depends on the mass, and the force of static friction can never be equal to the normal force unless the coefficient of friction is one. The conversation then transitions to a problem involving wood chips sliding down a steel slide and determining the minimum angle needed for the chips to begin sliding over each other. The equation for normal force is found to be N=mgcos°, and the angle is isolated using trigonometric functions. The final answer is determined to be 30.96°, independent of the mass of the chips.
Alex75
I have two surfaces that have a coifficent of friction of .6. Disregarding mass (if possible) at what angle would the force of static friction and the normal force be equal

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex75 said:
Disregarding mass (if possible) at what angle would the force of static friction and the normal force be equal

Not possible. The normal force depends on the mass. Since the frictional force is equal to the coefficient of friction times the normal force they can never be equal unless the coefficient of friction is one and that would be true of any angle.

This problem relates to woods chips sliding down a steel slide they range in mass from one gram to 500 grams what would the minimum angle be so that the normal force applied to every chip would overcome the force of static friction on each individual chip

I see the situation. The problem is asking at what angle will the chips begin to slide over one another. and that will occur when the force that is causing them to slide is equal to the frictional force that is preventing them from sliding. The normal force is not the force which will overcome the friction. The normal force is that which determines the frictional force. What force is acting such as to cause the chips down the slide?

The acceration of gravity acting soon an incline

*upon

And what would that be in the case of a slide at an angle Θ?

Mgsin°=n

Where m is mass
G is acceleration of gravity
° is the angle of the steel slide
N is normal force applied to object

according to that if the slide is at 0 deg then the normal force is 0? Is that OK with you?

No I am trying to determine the minimum angle the slide needs to be placed at so the chips accelerate down the slide. I.e. when the force from gravity is enough to overcome the static friction of the chips

I was questioning your formula for the normal force.

MgsinΘ is not the normal force so what is the normal force?

That was the equation I found when reshuching frictional forces

May I ask your physics background?

Ff=un
Ff is frictional force
U is the coifficent of friction
N is normal force

None really outside college physics when I was a senior I have always had a love for science and physics though which is way I am attempting to educate myself on what I still need to learn and refresh what I already know

Do you remember the idea of the resolving (splitting) of a force ( i.e., a vector) into components? That is such that if you add the components you get the original force (vector) back>

Vaguely

I believe that was what we ended up doing in physics class to determine at what angle a car's tires would loose friction between the road surface

similarly here. The problem here is to find the angle of the slide and of the stack of chips such that the chips will just begin to slide over one another . The weight of the chips i.e. the force of gravity must be split into two components .1, one normal to the slide or chip surface pushing the chips together, and 2 one that is moving the chips down the slide. MgsinΘ is that component of the force of gravity that is acting to force the chips down the slide. Can you find or write down the normal force in terms of the mass and angle?

Wouldn't the normal force be N=mgcos°

Correct. now you want the frictional force to be just overcome and that will occur when the frictional force just equals the force moving the chips down the slide.

So mgsin°=umgcos° would be the equation I would have to evaluate and isolate °?

correct

OK I got that far on my own here's where the five years since when I last took physics becomes noticeable how do you isolate the angle from both triginomic functions

μ = sinΘ/cosΘ = tanΘ

So then °=tan^-1(u) ?

Yes and can you find it?

30.96°

So for a coifficent of fiction being .6 between the wood chips and the steel slide I would have to angle it at a slope greater than 30.96 (i. E. 31°) in order for the force of gravity acting upon them would be great enough to overcome the static friction generated by the chips

Correct. And note that this angle is independent of the mass of the chips or any substance.

Thank you so much I had gotten that angle on my own but it was mear accident I'm glad I was able to confirm with someone who knows something. Thank you again gleem

Your welcome. I am glad to have helped.

Related to Static friction vs. Normal force on an incline

What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of force that exists between two surfaces in contact with each other, and prevents them from sliding against each other when a force is applied.

What is normal force?

Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts in the opposite direction of the force applied by the object.

How do static friction and normal force relate to each other on an incline?

In the case of an incline, the normal force is equal to the component of the object's weight that is perpendicular to the surface. This normal force acts against the force of gravity, and in turn, the static friction force acts against the component of the object's weight that is parallel to the surface. This allows the object to remain at rest on the incline.

What happens when the angle of incline changes?

As the angle of incline increases, the normal force decreases while the force of gravity remains constant. This results in a decrease in the maximum possible static friction force, making it easier for the object to slide down the incline.

How is the coefficient of friction related to static friction and normal force on an incline?

The coefficient of friction is a constant value that represents the relationship between the maximum possible static friction force and the normal force. It is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces in contact are. A higher coefficient of friction means a higher maximum possible static friction force, making it more difficult for the object to slide down the incline.