Static friction and maximum/minimum force

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the maximum magnitude of a horizontal force that can be applied to a block on an inclined plane without causing it to move up the incline. The solution involved using a free body diagram and the equations mg(sinθ−μ*cosθ)/(cosθ+μ*sinθ) or mg(sinθ+μ*cosθ)/(cosθ+μ*sinθ) to account for friction. The conversation also briefly touched on understanding the role of Fcos(theta) in the solution.
Poetria

Homework Statement

A block of mass m is at rest on an inclined plane of angle θ with respect to the horizontal. There is friction between the block and the inclined surface (μk and μs).

Now, assume that the value of θ is less than the value in part A) (so that the block will remain stationary if no other forces act on it). What is the maximum magnitude of a horizontal Force F that(with respect to ground) can be applied without causing the block to move up the incline?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found a similar thread here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/block-wedge-problem.698343/#post-4424430
and here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-friction-min-and-max-forces-involved.619902/

I understand everything except one significant detail. I have to choose between several options:
mg(sinθ−μ*cosθ)/(cosθ+μ*sinθ)

or mg(sinθ+μ*cosθ)/(cosθ+μ*sinθ)

Friction is static. I don't understand the numerator. Why is there -/+μ*sinθ or -/+μ*cosθ?? Could you give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you draw a Free Body Diagram of the block on the incline

Oh, you are right. I did it. I understand it now. Silly me.
Many thanks. :)
Block and wedge.png

Poetria said:

You did it yourself mate! Cheers!

Poetria said:
View attachment 78203
Could you please explain that Fcos(theta) bit?

hjkchorong said:
Could you please explain that Fcos(theta) bit?
Nevermind, I've understood it now.

Related to Static friction and maximum/minimum force

What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that keeps an object at rest when a force is applied to it. It is the force that must be overcome in order to set an object in motion. It acts in the opposite direction of the applied force and increases as the applied force increases.

What is the difference between maximum and minimum static friction?

Maximum static friction is the highest amount of force that can be applied to an object before it starts to move. Minimum static friction is the smallest amount of force needed to keep an object at rest. It is usually lower than maximum static friction.

What factors affect static friction?

The factors that affect static friction include the nature of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and the presence of any external forces. Rougher surfaces and heavier objects generally have higher static friction, while smoother surfaces and lighter objects have lower static friction.

How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction acts on objects that are at rest, while kinetic friction acts on objects that are in motion. The force of kinetic friction is usually lower than static friction, as it only needs to counteract the force of motion rather than the force needed to overcome static friction.

How can static friction be calculated?

The formula for calculating static friction is F = μsN, where F is the force of static friction, μs is the coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force exerted on the object. The coefficient of static friction can be determined experimentally for different pairs of surfaces.