Static equilibrium with friction question

In summary, the conversation discusses a real world application problem involving a cantilever beam in static equilibrium with known mass and center of gravity. The task is to find the forces present at three points of contact within an irregularly shaped cavity in a wall. The solution can be found by using equilibrium equations, but the presence of friction at the points of contact complicates the problem. The conversation also suggests considering the worst case configurations of loading and fixation or minimizing the normal forces to find a solution. A simpler 2-D version of the problem is discussed and it is concluded that minimizing the normal forces may provide a rigid body solution for the 3-D problem. Finally, the importance of the location and stability of the beam within the cavity is mentioned
remettub

Homework Statement

This is a real world application. I am posting it here to follow the guideline for any "coursework-like" questions, but since I have no formal training, I'm not sure what category this would actually fall under. Any recommendations for a more specific posting location would be welcome!

I have a cantilever beam in static equilibrium, with a known mass and center of gravity. It is supported at one end by contact at three points inside an irregularly shaped cavity in a wall. My task is to find the force(s) present at each of the points of contact, which have known coordinates and a known normal direction. For better visibility, the image below only shows the three relevant surfaces (brown disks) of the cavity, where they contact spherical protrusions on the beam.

rendering2.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If friction at the points of contact is zero, then I can easily solve for the unknown forces (red arrows) at the points of contact by using translation and/or moment equilibrium equations, since the direction of the force at each of the points of contact must be normal to the contact surface, and I therefore only have three unknowns (the magnitudes of the forces).

However, in the actual scenario, friction IS present between the beam and the cavity at the points of contact, and here I run into trouble. I am conceptualizing the frictional forces as a vectors originating from the contact points and tangent to the contact surfaces, but since they could also point in any direction on the contact surface, I now have nine unknowns and only six equations of equilibrium from which to find them.

What am I missing here? It seems like the system must have a unique solution.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
This system does not have a unique solution anyway . The only way to deal with a system like this is to base all calculations on the worst case configurations of loading and fixation .

You can use professional judgement about what are the worst case configurations or you can analyse multiple cases and rank the solutions .

Last edited:
remettub said:
It seems like the system must have a unique solution.
In the idealised world of rigid bodies, arrangements with multiple frictional forces do not necessarily have unique solutions. A simple example is an object rammed into V cleft. In the real world, it depends on the elastic properties of the materials and how the arrangement was produced.

I agree with your counts of unknowns and statics equations. To get more equations you could throw in, say, that the normal forces are to be minimised.

Thanks for your replies. I came across the example of an object in a V cleft as I was browsing the forum for ideas. It seems highly relevant.

Would minimizing the normal forces provide an approximation of the equilibrium that a real world object would reach due to elasticity?

remettub said:
Thanks for your replies. I came across the example of an object in a V cleft as I was browsing the forum for ideas. It seems highly relevant.

Would minimizing the normal forces provide an approximation of the equilibrium that a real world object would reach due to elasticity?
Not just the elasticity, but also the deformation. Simple example is tightening a nut. The minimal forces solution would be that degree of tightening that just holds things in place for now. That would not be typical.

After thinking about this some more, I don't think that considering deformation is necessary. The beam would not be wedged tightly into the opening. The more natural entry method would be to simply insert the beam at an upwards angle, then let gravity bring all the points into contact. Here is what I think is the 2-dimensional analogy:

rendering3.jpg

In the 2-D version there are only four unknowns (the magnitude of the two normal forces, and the magnitude of the two tangent forces due to friction), so it should be simple to find a rigid body solution. Of course in the real world the beam would deform somewhat even if it was lightly placed rather than rammed into the opening, but I still believe a rigid body solution would be an accurate enough representation to serve my purposes.

So, to rephrase my question: would minimizing the normal forces give me the rigid body solution for the 3-D problem?

remettub said:
After thinking about this some more, I don't think that considering deformation is necessary. The beam would not be wedged tightly into the opening. The more natural entry method would be to simply insert the beam at an upwards angle, then let gravity bring all the points into contact. Here is what I think is the 2-dimensional analogy:

View attachment 112713

In the 2-D version there are only four unknowns (the magnitude of the two normal forces, and the magnitude of the two tangent forces due to friction), so it should be simple to find a rigid body solution. Of course in the real world the beam would deform somewhat even if it was lightly placed rather than rammed into the opening, but I still believe a rigid body solution would be an accurate enough representation to serve my purposes.

So, to rephrase my question: would minimizing the normal forces give me the rigid body solution for the 3-D problem?
Good idea to start with a simpler version: 4 unknowns but only 3 equations.
Yes, looking for a solution that minimises a force is reasonable, but it is not obvious whether it matters which force. I suspect that in this 2D example it won't matter, that all forces are minimised simultaneously. Might not be true in general.

Likes remettub
As drawn the beam does not have a unique location in the slot and also it could be unstable ..

Can you tell us more completely what the actual problem is ?

Nidum said:
As drawn the beam does not have a unique location in the slot
It is drawn at a particular location. Maybe I am missing your point.
Nidum said:
it could be unstable ..
As drawn, it would only be unstable if the coefficient of friction is too low. Assume we are to find the minimum for stability.

haruspex said:
Good idea to start with a simpler version: 4 unknowns but only 3 equations.

Oops, I was mistakenly thinking that there would be four equations of equilibrium for the 2 dimensional version. Of course, there are only three!

Nidum said:
As drawn the beam does not have a unique location in the slot and also it could be unstable ..

Can you tell us more completely what the actual problem is ?

My goal is to write some code which would be able to evaluate any specific instance of this problem. So, while I have not provided a specific instance here, the locations of the points of contact are still considered known variables. There may or may not be a stable solution, depending on the inputs and the coefficient of friction

Related to Static equilibrium with friction question

1. What is static equilibrium with friction?

Static equilibrium with friction is a concept in physics that refers to the state of an object or system when it is at rest and there is no net force acting on it. In this state, the forces of friction are balanced with the applied forces, resulting in no movement.

2. How is static equilibrium with friction different from regular static equilibrium?

In regular static equilibrium, the forces acting on an object are balanced, but there is no friction involved. In static equilibrium with friction, the forces of friction must also be taken into account and balanced with the applied forces.

3. What factors affect static equilibrium with friction?

The main factors that affect static equilibrium with friction are the coefficient of friction, the angle of the surface, and the weight of the object. The coefficient of friction is a measure of the roughness of the surfaces in contact, while the angle of the surface affects the direction and magnitude of the frictional force. The weight of the object also plays a role in determining the amount of friction present.

4. How can static equilibrium with friction be calculated?

To calculate static equilibrium with friction, the sum of the forces acting on the object must be equal to zero. This can be represented in equations by setting the sum of the forces in the x and y directions equal to zero. Additionally, the forces of friction can be calculated using the coefficient of friction and the normal force.

5. What is the significance of static equilibrium with friction?

Static equilibrium with friction is an important concept in physics and engineering because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects at rest. It is also essential in designing structures and machines that can withstand external forces and remain stable. Additionally, it has real-life applications in various fields, such as architecture, construction, and transportation.