Static equilibrium: Placing a fulcrum

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the position of the fulcrum in a balancing system and the process of setting up equations to solve for it. The engineers typically do not try to guess the right point, but instead choose a point that makes the math easier, such as the location of an unknown force or a place where multiple forces act.
archaic
Homework Statement
A 0.140-kg, 45.4-cm-long uniform bar has a small 0.050-kg mass glued to its left end and a small 0.100-kg mass glued to the other end. You want to balance this system horizontally on a fulcrum placed just under its center of gravity.
How far from the left end should the fulcrum be placed?
Relevant Equations
##\sum\tau=0##
I don't understand the question; they're telling me that the fulcrum is just under the center of gravity of the bar, but that I also need to find its position.
In any case, I suppose that the fulcrum's position is ##x##.
Untitled.png

Let the weight at the left end be ##w_1##, at the right end be ##w_2##, and of the center of gravity be ##w##.
Since ##w_2>w_1##, I'm going to suppose that ##x>\frac l2##.
$$w(x-\frac l2)+w_1x=w_2(l-x)\\x=l\frac{w_2+\frac w2}{w+w_1+w_2}=45.4\times\frac{0.100+\frac{0.140}{2}}{0.140+0.100+0.050}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, this is correct. I have first mindlessly put ##x## randomly less than ##l/2## and worked that way.

Generally, do engineers balancing such systems check from which side of the center of gravity the sum of the forces' component contributing to rotation is greater before setting up the equation? Or there is a systematic way?

If it isn’t moving the sum of the torques about any point must be zero. Pick a point, pick a sign convention for the torques, and the answer will come out right no matter what point you pick. Engineers don’t generally try to guess the right point. Instead they generally pick a point to make the math easy. For example, if there’s a force you don’t know use it’s location as the center of rotation and it’s torque is zero no matter what the magnitude. It drops out of the calculation. Similarly pick a place where several forces act to get them all out. Perhaps most the forces are perpendicular but one is at an unknown angle and you don’t want to have to figure out the components. Choose that as the origin. Etc.

Likes Lnewqban

Related to Static equilibrium: Placing a fulcrum

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which an object is at rest and all forces acting on it are balanced. This means that there is no net force or torque acting on the object, resulting in no movement or rotation.

2. How does placing a fulcrum affect static equilibrium?

Placing a fulcrum, or pivot point, can change the distribution of weight and force on an object, causing a shift in the center of mass and potentially altering the state of static equilibrium. The position of the fulcrum can also determine the amount of force needed to achieve balance.

3. What factors can affect the stability of static equilibrium?

The stability of static equilibrium can be affected by the weight and distribution of an object, the position and strength of the fulcrum, and external forces such as gravity or friction. Additionally, the shape and size of the object can also play a role in its stability.

4. How can you calculate the position of the fulcrum for static equilibrium?

The position of the fulcrum can be calculated using the principle of moments, which states that the sum of clockwise moments must equal the sum of counterclockwise moments for an object to be in static equilibrium. This calculation involves determining the weight and distance from the fulcrum of each individual force acting on the object.

5. What are some real-life applications of static equilibrium and placing a fulcrum?

Static equilibrium and fulcrums are used in many everyday objects and structures, such as seesaws, balance scales, and levers. They are also important in engineering and construction, as they help determine the stability and balance of buildings, bridges, and other structures.