Static equilibrium of a window washer

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with two problems related to statics. The first problem involves a window washer attempting to lean a ladder against a frictionless wall, while the second problem involves estimating the force needed to roll a wheelchair over a curb. The speaker mentions using concepts such as torque and coefficient of static friction to solve these problems. They also mention drawing free-body diagrams and finding the sum of forces and net torque to solve the problems.
TN17
I was given 2 problems based on statics and I was wondering if anyone could help.
Thank you - we just learned the concepts of statics TODAY and were given an assignment immediately, so any help would be appreciated.

A window washer attempts to lean a ladder against a frictionless wall. He finds that the ladder slips on the ground when it is placed at an angle of less than 75◦ to the ground but remains in place when the angle is greater than 75◦. Find the coefficient of static friction between the ladder and the ground

I know that:
To be static, Torque - F(r)sinthetha and that Torque(net) = 0
Coefficient of static friction = F(friction) / Normal
I think I might have to split it into components...

AND

Estimate the magnitude of the force F an average person must apply to a wheelchair’s main wheel to roll up over a sidewalk curb. This main wheel, which is the one that comes in contact with the curb, has a radius r, and the height of the curb is h.

I always have trouble with estimation problems. I don't know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing: make a drawing: the ladder with the ground and the wall for the first problem and slope and wheelchair for the second problem. Find and draw all forces (make a free-body diagram). Find the sum of both the horizontal and vertical force components. Find the net torque. All the sums are zero. Solve the system of equations.

ehild

Related to Static equilibrium of a window washer

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no acceleration or movement of the object.

2. How does static equilibrium apply to a window washer?

In the context of a window washer, static equilibrium refers to the balance of forces acting on the worker and their equipment while suspended in midair.

3. What forces are involved in the static equilibrium of a window washer?

The main forces involved in the static equilibrium of a window washer are the weight of the worker and their equipment, the tension in the rope or harness, and the normal force from the building or structure they are attached to.

4. How does the center of mass affect the static equilibrium of a window washer?

The center of mass, or the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed, plays a crucial role in the static equilibrium of a window washer. The worker's center of mass must be directly below the anchor point to maintain balance and prevent tipping.

5. What safety precautions are necessary to maintain static equilibrium for a window washer?

To ensure the safety of a window washer while maintaining static equilibrium, proper training, use of appropriate equipment, and regular inspections are necessary. It is also important for the worker to follow safety protocols and have a backup system in case of equipment failure.