Static equilibrium (conceptual)

In summary, in order for an object to be in static equilibrium, the net force in all directions must be zero and the net torque must be zero. There is conflicting information on whether the object's velocity must also be zero, with some sources stating it must be at rest while others stating it can have constant velocity as long as it is not accelerating. Further research is needed to determine the correct answer.
kermitthefrog
In order for an object to be in static equilibrium

a)the net force in all directions must be zero
b)the net torque must be zero
c) the object's velocity must be zero
d) a and b are correct
e) all of the above

2. I know that the net force in all directions must be equal to zero, also teh sum of the net torque must be equal to zero. I am confusted about the object's velocity being zero.

3. An object can have non-zero velocity and not be accelerating(ie it has a constant velocity), which would fulfill the idea that no net force is acting upon it. However in my class text, it keeps stating that the object is at rest. I'm not sure if this is just a specific example of equilibrium, or if all objects in equilibrium must be at rest (ie velocity= 0). From the searches that I have done I can't tell if the object's velocity must be zero...any explanations?

3.attempt at solution, because I think you can have constant velocity in which you are not accelerating, I believe the answer is D, both choice A and B are correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good question, and boils down to whether the object must be at rest or not.

A quick google search gives conflicting answers. Wolfram claims that zero net force and torque are sufficient for static equilibrium, whereas wikipedia and physicsclassroom.com claim the object must be at rest as well. You can look at these three links, and hopefully decide which is most consistent with your class's use of static equilibrium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_equilibrium
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/StaticEquilibrium.html
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/vectors/U3l3c.cfm

I can confirm that in order for an object to be in static equilibrium, both the net force in all directions and the net torque must be equal to zero. This means that the forces acting on the object must be balanced and there must be no rotation or twisting forces acting on the object.

Regarding the object's velocity, it is not a requirement for static equilibrium. An object can have a non-zero velocity and still be in static equilibrium, as long as it is not accelerating. This means that the object's velocity can be constant, but it cannot be changing in any direction. Therefore, the correct answer is D, as both choices A and B are necessary for an object to be in static equilibrium.

Related to Static equilibrium (conceptual)

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in the object being at rest or moving with a constant velocity.

How is static equilibrium different from dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium involves a stationary object, while dynamic equilibrium involves an object moving at a constant velocity.

What are the conditions for static equilibrium?

The conditions for static equilibrium are that the net force acting on the object must be zero and the net torque (rotational force) acting on the object must also be zero.

What is the significance of static equilibrium in real-life applications?

Static equilibrium is important in engineering, architecture, and other fields where structures need to be designed to support loads without collapsing or moving. It is also relevant in understanding the stability of objects and structures in everyday life.

How can you determine if an object is in static equilibrium?

An object is in static equilibrium if it is not accelerating and is either stationary or moving at a constant velocity. This can be determined by calculating the net force and net torque acting on the object and ensuring that they both equal zero.