Static Electricity and Algebra Problems

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving finding the number of free electrons, but is having difficulty. He or she needs the mass of an electron and lacks information on how to approach this type of question. He or she is also having difficulty with algebraic expressions for the electric field. Finally, the student is seeking help from others, but feels that he or she is not doing well on his or her own.
mattyc33

Homework Statement

I have a few problems that I found in my review package that I just couldn't figure out. I've been trying all day as I'm used to the normal F=kqq/r^2. These are higher levelled problems, but my prof says that they will be on the midterm which is coming up next week. If someone could help me that would be really great.
1) After rubbing a balloon against someone's hair, a balloon has accumulated a static electric charge. The air inside the balloon has the same density as the air outside of the balloon, and the balloon itself weighs 3.36mN . How many free electrons are there on the surface of the balloon if an electric field of magnitude 0.614x10^12N/C is required to keep the balloon floating at a constant height?

2) A particle with charge of magnitude 2.01x10^-10C is suspended motionless in the air by an electric field.If the electric field is 7.61x10^-19N/C downwards, what is the mass of the particle?

3) Point charges - q and - q are positioned as shown.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74717767@N03/6772867909/
Find an algebraic expression for the electric field at point P, in terms of the given parameters.

4) Find an algebraic expression for the electric force due to the two points charges on the -axis on a point charge -9q at P , in terms of the given parameter.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74717767@N03/6772903769/

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r^2
E=F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I've converted megaNewtons to Newtons, but I just cannot find in my textbook how to calculate number of free electrons. I have the mass of an electron but I don't exactly know how to approach this type of question.

2) I see that I can find the number of Newtons in this problem. I do not have acceleration or any other variables, so I do not see how I can find mass.

3)I'm pretty sure that I have to algebraically make an expression that goes into the equation for electric field. I'm not given very much information so once again, I don't really know how to approach this one.

4) Same problem as the question above.

If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. I'm not used to this level of electricity so if possible could you please explain. Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mattyc33! :smile:
mattyc33 said:
1) I've converted megaNewtons to Newtons, but I just cannot find in my textbook how to calculate number of free electrons. I have the mass of an electron but I don't exactly know how to approach this type of question.

why do you need their mass? you have the mass of the balloon

(and it's milliNewtons, named after Newton's baby daughter, Millie Newton :wink:)
2) I see that I can find the number of Newtons in this problem. I do not have acceleration or any other variables, so I do not see how I can find mass.

the acceleration is 0
3)I'm pretty sure that I have to algebraically make an expression that goes into the equation for electric field. I'm not given very much information so once again, I don't really know how to approach this one.

4) Same problem as the question above.

you're given all the charges and distances …

what more do you need?

Well thank you,

I just can't get the proper equations and stuff down. This is not homework, I am trying to do this for my own benefit and there is no solution page given by my prof.

I thank you very much for your answer but if anyone else could contribute and help me a bit more in-depth that would be awesome.

Thanks.

Related to Static Electricity and Algebra Problems

What is static electricity?

Static electricity is a type of electricity that is created when there is an imbalance of electric charge on the surface of an object. This can occur when two objects are rubbed together, causing electrons to transfer from one object to another. The buildup of electric charge can create an electric shock when the object comes in contact with a conductor.

How is static electricity related to algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations. In the study of static electricity, algebra is used to represent the relationship between different variables, such as electric charge, distance, and force. By using algebraic equations, scientists can better understand how static electricity works and predict its behavior.

What is the difference between positive and negative charges in static electricity?

Positive and negative charges are two types of electric charge that can exist in static electricity. Positive charges have more protons than electrons, while negative charges have more electrons than protons. When two objects with opposite charges come in contact, the electrons will transfer from one object to the other, creating an electric shock. Objects with the same charge will repel each other.

How can static electricity be used in everyday life?

Static electricity has many practical applications in everyday life. Some common examples include lightning, which is caused by a buildup of static electricity in the atmosphere, and static cling, which occurs when two objects with opposite charges stick together. Static electricity is also used in air filters, printers, and photocopiers.

What are some common algebraic equations used in studying static electricity?

There are several algebraic equations used in the study of static electricity, including Coulomb's Law, which describes the relationship between electric charge, distance, and force; the electric field equation, which calculates the strength of an electric field at a certain distance from a charged object; and the electric potential equation, which measures the potential energy of an electric charge at a certain distance from a charged object.