Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Statement of a theorem due to Bondy.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
On this page Turán's theorem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaI found that:

"A strengthened form of Mantel's theorem states that any graph with at least $n^2/4$ edges must either be a complete bipartite graph $K_{n/2,n/2}$ or it must be pancyclic, i.e, not only does it contain a triangle, it must also contain cycles of all other possible lengths up to the number of vertices."

Now a special case of this is:

A non-bipartite graph $G$ with $|E(G)|\geq n^2/4$, where $n=|V(G)|$, has a Hamiltonian Cycle.

But if we consider the $10$ vertex graph $G$ which has a $9$-clique and an isolated vertex then we see that $|E(G)|=36>10^2/4$ but $G$ doesn't have a Hamiltonian cycle.

What has gone wrong here? What am I missing?

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
What I read is:

A strengthened form of Mantel's theorem states that any hamiltonian graph with at least n2/4 edges must either be the complete bipartite graph Kn/2,n/2 or it must be pancyclic: not only does it contain a triangle, it must also contain cycles of all other possible lengths up to the number of vertices in the graph (Bondy 1971).
So the special case is really:

A non-bipartite hamiltonian graph G satisfies $|E(G)| \geq n^2 / 4$ where $n = |V(G)|$.
Which does not imply that a non-bipartite graph satisfying this condition is hamiltonian.

So maybe you got the conditions the other way around. I could be wrong though.. it's late. If not, maybe the theorem only applies to connected graphs.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
What I read is:

So the special case is really:

Which does not imply that a non-bipartite graph satisfying this condition is hamiltonian.

So maybe you got the conditions the other way around. I could be wrong though.. it's late. If not, maybe the theorem only applies to connected graphs.
You are right Bacterius. I found the correct statement on ScienceDirect.com - Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series B - Pancyclic graphs I and had corrected it on wiki. Wiki didn't have tjhe clause 'Hamiltonian' there.

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Ah, that explains it. Thanks :)
I almost got bald pulling my hair over this one. BUt finally science direct helped. Phewf. Thanks for taking a look at my problem. :)